5.2 Rear Main Project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.2 Rear Main Project

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 10-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
GTO71
1995 ZJ 

5.2 Rear Main Project

Ok over the weekend I decided to do the rear main on my 95 5.2. It has a 3.5 IRO lift on it. First off this amount of lift does NOT provide enough room to get the oil pan off with out lifting the suspension to get more room. So if your doing this on your back, FYI. Also the biggest pain was getting the passenger side bolts out from the y-pipe to manifold, my fix I cut the exhaust pipe and rewelded it to remove the pan. Now for the good stuff I replaced the oil pan gasket with a nice blue felpro, did a high volume pump and did a felpro rear main. I followed the directions and torqued everything, made sure to put in the rearmain in the right way....btw I use to be a ASE certified mechanic so I guess I kinda know what I am doing.......and guess what????? it still leaks LOL, hard to tell but it appears to be from the rear main.....oh how I love working on these jeeps.....but I still love my ZJ.

Think I'll just keep the ghetto drip can under the ZJ

GTO71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I have read that sometimes it's hard to get the gasket to seat without getting pinched. Not a fun job.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

Give it a few days. My 5.2 rear main seal leaked for a day or two after it was replaced.
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfan2 View Post
Give it a few days. My 5.2 rear main seal leaked for a day or two after it was replaced.
The seal expands a little? I think I remember hearing that. Forgot about it though.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
GTO71
1995 ZJ 

I really hope this is the case, i dont really understand the physics of the seal expanding but i hope so, i originally had syntetic quaterstate in it and drained it and put in conventional penzoil, hopefullt it will seal up.
Unread 10-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

The last RMS I did leaked for another 2 days after I did it. I was ready to junk the jeep I had enough. Lol

After two days it stopped completely. And yes it still had oil in it haha
cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
David97
1995 ZJ 

Mine stopped leaking immediately after I replaced it on my old 98. Also changed out the oil pan gasket too though, so dunno.
David97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

I hope he changed the oil pan gasket lol
cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #9
GTO71
1995 ZJ 

Yea did the pan gasket, looks to be dry, think its the rear main, hopefully it stops.
Unread 10-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
The seal expands a little? I think I remember hearing that. Forgot about it though.
I don't know if it expands a little or maybe smooths the rubber after a few thousand revolutions or what.

I have to do the RMS on my new to me 9r. I won't get the blues this time if it leaks for a few days.
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.