5.2 power steering pump mounting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.2 power steering pump mounting

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 06-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
a70eliminator

5.2 power steering pump mounting

Today I decided to try and fix this annoying belt squeal.
It's been going on for two years and replaced with quality belt and still squeals.
I notice a couple things that don't look right.
First and foremost the aluminum bracket that mounts with 3 bolts to the head is broken in two.
Second - where the pump mounts to the aluminum bracket are 3 steel convex like spacers about 1/4" thick at each mounting point between aluminum spacer and pump, are they supposed to be there?
Third- There was 1 bolt missing from the pump to bracket mounts, it looks very difficult to access as the waterpump tube is right in the way, the bolt looks like it has very little clearance to fit, does that sound right.

Oh and lastly, I guess this bracket i need is going to be a junkyard item unless i can get a new one on line maybe somwhere?

a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

hi, i just replaced the power steering pump and pulley on my 98 5.2, the job is not difficult, but as you stated, space is limited. if you remove the fan shroud it should help alot. i removed my radiator entirely and there was plenty of room. try just the shroud first.

good luck!
huntsducks70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
a70eliminator

Ok I just realized one of the mounting ears is broken off the pump housing thats why the bolt was missing daaa.
I'm picking up a new pump tomorrow and will attempt to tig weld the aluminum bracket, sandblast and paint the steel pulley while it's off.
I still have not confirmed if those 3 spacers are supposed to be there, the pulley is pressed on just to where it's flush with the shaft.
I'm getting good at r&r off and on in about 10-15 mins.
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Either get new bracket or reweld it like mine was.

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Grab a straight edge & make sure all the pulleys are in alignment before you put the belt on. If you remove the spacers will it throw the pulley off? Better to have the correct spacer/washer than a pulleys that is not aligned and squeaking. Washers are common where a pulley is misaligned.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
moldeck

My 96 was easy. socket and extension through the holes in the pulley. I am not sure on your spacers, mine did not have any??
Seen another post here about making sure you align the pulley with the others with a ruler so they are lined up straight or you will eat up belts.
moldeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:00 AM   #7
a70eliminator

Thanks, Mines the same, a socket and small 2" extention through the holes of the pulley gets the bolts out.
Without the spacers the pulley does not line up, I guess the bracket is thinner than what is on the 96-98 ones, mine is a 95 and the aluminum bracket is kinda thin in comparison to the 96 ones I see on ebay.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.