5.2 Jeep to 5.9 Dodge swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.2 Jeep to 5.9 Dodge swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Cboy94
1994 ZJ 

5.2 Jeep to 5.9 Dodge swap

Hey everybody, new here on the forum but I've always read the writeups and browsed the threads for help with my '94 ZJ. Anyway the 5.2 finally died at about 180,000 miles and I'm ready to do the 5.9 swap. I also have a 242 case to swap in.

I know this issue has been beaten to death and if a thread exists with definitive answers to my questions please direct me there.

I have the 46RH transmission. Will I need the torque converter from the donor truck? I know I need the flexplate. I'm going to get mine out of a Dodge, and I'm just going to use my 5.2 intake to deal with the EGR issues. I've read a lot of speculation that the 5.2 computer will do the trick but I'm not so sure about that since I will be using the 5.9 injectors. Also I have heard you need the body control module but I have only read that once no one else mentions that. I am just gonna use my harness and sensors to keep it all OBDI. Don't have smog tests but it just seems easier.

Like I said I know this has been beaten to death but there are a lot of varying opinions and information.

Thanks guys

Cboy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
David97
Mr Wiggles

1995 ZJ 

Here's the thread I made when I was considering a 5.9 swap, lots of helpful info there. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/5...tions-1561910/

However, ive since decided, to stick with the 5.2, and build it up instead.
David97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Cboy94
1994 ZJ 

Thanks David I appreciate it buddy. My goal is to have it running by April it will be 20 haha
Unread 11-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
JakobeSVT
1996 ZJ 

5.2L to 5.9L swap

I have this swap completed in a 96 ZJ, if you have any questions feel free to ask. I used a 98 dodge ram 5.9L engine and transmission.

Issues we ran into: Because I used a dodge ram transmission, we had to accommodate a starter on the driver side, did so buy cutting the end of my starter wiring, soldering in a battery cable and some connections to fit the starter. Looped the wiring loom with the bottom of the oil pan bolts so it looks clean/tucked up. I had to swap the driver side engine mount with a 98 ZJ 5.9L (I replaced both engine mounts mine were toast). You will need headers, you can use the stock exhaust manifolds, the exit/collector drops right at the new starter, I used Hedman Tight Tube headers +spent about $800 on a custom y-pipe, high flow magna-flow catalytic converter, and a magna-flow magnapack muffler. Had to rig up a bracket for the transmission shift linkage/kick down cable.

R&R: We pulled the front clip (radiator, condenser, grille, etc.), and the hood for enough clearance, removed the accessories/bracket (p/s, a/c, alt) and removed both engine and trans. We bolted the new engine and trans together before we stabbed it in, with enough angle dropped her down in. (re-install the accessories after dropping the engine in). The only other wiring problem we had was with the coolant temp sensor, cant remember if I needed a different connector or just had to lengthen the harness but that was no big deal. Everything else clipped right in.
JakobeSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

OBD1 5.9 swaps are a piece of cake. The 46RH bolts up, and the 5.2 ECU has enough fuel trim to run it just fine. There's literally zero wiring fab. You'll need a Jeep 5.9L driver's side motor mount. As you mentioned, you'll need to the use externally-balanced 5.9L flex plate and harmonic balancer. Torque converter can be a bit of a crap shoot, if you re-use the 5.2 TC you may have to oval a bolt hole or find a different 5.9 flexplate depending on year. Re-use the 5.2 intake (you'll be pulling it for the plenum gasket anyway) and exhaust manifolds - remember to buy gaskets beforehand!
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cboy94 View Post
I have the 46RH transmission. Will I need the torque converter from the donor truck? I know I need the flexplate. I'm going to get mine out of a Dodge, and I'm just going to use my 5.2 intake to deal with the EGR issues. I've read a lot of speculation that the 5.2 computer will do the trick but I'm not so sure about that since I will be using the 5.9 injectors. Also I have heard you need the body control module but I have only read that once no one else mentions that. I am just gonna use my harness and sensors to keep it all OBDI. Don't have smog tests but it just seems easier.
What year is the donor? Most of your questions depend on that.

You will probably need the torque converter or have to wallow out a hole in the 5.9 flexplate.

The stock 5.2 computer will do nicely. Use the 5.2 injectors, unless the donor is pre '96.

Yes keep it OBD1 entirely. And '94 doesn't have a BCM.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Cboy94
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
What year is the donor? Most of your questions depend on that.

The stock 5.2 computer will do nicely. Use the 5.2 injectors, unless the donor is pre '96.
I'm not sure, my buddy works at the local pick n pull and is gonna point me in the direction of a truck with a good motor so probably as new as possible. From my understanding that has to do with the fuel rail and possible psi difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
Torque converter can be a bit of a crap shoot, if you re-use the 5.2 TC you may have to oval a bolt hole or find a different 5.9 flexplate depending on year.
Is it worth doing the ovaling out if I end up with that situation, I mean the 98 ZJ 5.9 flexplate is only $58, thats nothing compaired to a future headache (i.e. when the motor is buttoned up)
Unread 11-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

yea psi difference

flexplate for $58, where?
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
Cboy94
1994 ZJ 

Rockauto has them. Rockauto looks so sketchy but I got my motor mounts from them cheap and quick but who knows. I'll probably wait and see what the deal is.

You guys are wizards your knowledge is unending
Unread 11-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cboy94 View Post
Is it worth doing the ovaling out if I end up with that situation, I mean the 98 ZJ 5.9 flexplate is only $58, thats nothing compaired to a future headache (i.e. when the motor is buttoned up)
Well, I ovaled my hole and I've had no problems, but if you have the opportunity to use the matching flex plate and torque convertor then that's certainly the better solution. I used a '94 Dodge 5.9 flex plate and it required ovaling one hole by about 1/8" to mount a '94 5.2/46RH torque convertor, because that's the torque convertor I had on hand and knew it would work with the transmission I was using.

RockAuto is great, I've done a dozen orders from them or more and zero issues to date.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.