5.2 header options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.2 header options

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
NJSPEEDER
1993 ZJ 

5.2 header options

I was wondering what headers were out there for the 5.2?

Doing searches on all the normal parts sites(Jegs/Summit....) all I am seeing is the Edelbrock set up. Just wanted to know if there were any other shorty style header options that anyone had tried. I would even be happy with a set of generic street rod style shorty headers if anyone knows of a set that will clear.

If i can find an inexpensive set of headers with a 2.5 or 3 inch collector I can put my own crossover and y-pipe together easily enough, just don't want to go through the hassle of building headers from scratch or spending the extra cash on the Edelbrock if I don't have to.

Thanks
Tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
www.NJFBOA.org
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Osboy1
1998 ZJ 

PM Kolak, he gave me a quote for a header for the I6, wasn't too expensive. Mike Leach/Doug Thorley.
Osboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

NO cheap options for the ZJ V8 . Eddy's or Thorley's , both come with the piping to the cat . Even used they go for $400ish . Got mine for $250 off kijiji new , so , I guess you could get lucky too , but your jeep might be rusted out before that deal comes along again . I jumped all over that one and love em .

Now , that's not your only option to get more performance in this area . If you can find 1993 V8 GC manifolds , they are suppose to be as close to headers as you can get or at very least , flow much better . get those , fix the resticted area on the pass. side downpipe and you can gain almost or maybe equal the benefit for a fraction of the price .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
NJSPEEDER
1993 ZJ 

I was kind of figuring those would pretty much be the options. Ford and Chevy both have a million different cheap street rodder/block hugger headers, I guess the MOPAR crowd just isn't as lucky.

For the prices that even used pipes go for I will just end up fabricating better down and y-sectors myself with tubing from a local shop.

Thanks guys
Tim
www.NJFBOA.org
Unread 12-13-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

is it true that removing the crushed part in the y-pipe will give you a similar effect to headers? Not sure where I read/heard this but I do remember it.

Also, there is one guys on here, -cAcHe- who was supposed to be making some custom sets and selling for about 400. He said he would let me know when he makes them but I am not sure what happened to him.
Unread 12-13-2010, 12:27 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Hedman tight tubes block huggers. See my build thread.
Sanderson also makes a block hugger that requires only a minor frame notch on the pass side.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Hedman tight tubes block huggers. See my build thread.
Sanderson also makes a block hugger that requires only a minor frame notch on the pass side.
Although true , you could use these , what about the y-pipe ? $300 isn't bad for the headers , but any shop I know would want at least a couple hun more to fab a Y-pipe back to the cat . As you know , relying on others to do it right doesn't always work . How much did it cost you to get it done wrong your first time ? No offence , just making a point , lord knows how many times I had stuff done wrong and paid out the *** for it .

On your build , you have no choice , you have to go with what works . The cost , not much less than a few bucks and alot more trouble than the Eddy's . Just getting it to the shop would be a PITA unless you paid them to install the headers too . Labour would suck up any money saved and then some .

Sorry RM , that base of $300 sounds great , until you look at it closer
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

If you find a not so lazy shop it puts things at edelbrock prices with a better y pipe so long as you use the flowmaster merge.

I spent about 75$ on the pipe to do it right the second time.

Unread 12-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
wickerham
1993 ZJ 

I have a 93, so I'm better off fixing my crushed Y-pipe and tail pipe than getting a set of Doug Thorley's?
wickerham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
NJSPEEDER
1993 ZJ 

newfireZJ - I'm not worried about making the y-pipe myself, it is only a few bucks of tubing and i know how to weld/do light fabrication. I just don't want to make headers, I have put together weld up kits before and i just don't have that kind of time to spend cutting and splicing.

ratmonkey - Thanks man, i will have to check out your build

-Tim
www.NJFBOA.org
Unread 12-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerham View Post
I have a 93, so I'm better off fixing my crushed Y-pipe and tail pipe than getting a set of Doug Thorley's?
I would highly doubt the '93 manifolds are significantly better than later ones, especially considering only the passenger side manifold was changed between '93 and '94.
Unread 12-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #12
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
NO cheap options for the ZJ V8 . Eddy's or Thorley's , both come with the piping to the cat . Even used they go for $400ish . Got mine for $250 off kijiji new , so , I guess you could get lucky too , but your jeep might be rusted out before that deal comes along again . I jumped all over that one and love em .

Now , that's not your only option to get more performance in this area . If you can find 1993 V8 GC manifolds , they are suppose to be as close to headers as you can get or at very least , flow much better . get those , fix the resticted area on the pass. side downpipe and you can gain almost or maybe equal the benefit for a fraction of the price .
hmm, i never new that about the 93's, i just scrapped mine. maybe thats why i didn't get as big of a gain as i was expecting with the eddys.

if i were to buy headers again i would probably go with thorleys, i like the design better, i tried getting them, but they guy at mopac said they were discontinued. or i forget the brand, but getting block huggers and fabbing a longer y
Unread 12-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #13
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerham View Post
nah, get the thorleys, you wont be disappointed
Unread 12-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #14
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
I would highly doubt the '93 manifolds are significantly better than later ones, especially considering only the passenger side manifold was changed between '93 and '94.
Collector is larger on both sides in the 92-93 5.2 manifolds. 2.25" vs 2.0".

Unread 12-14-2010, 07:00 AM   #15
AlphaLorde
1998 ZJ 

Just to clarify:

92-93 manifolds - they can be from any truck, van, or whatever has 360/318 stock. And most of the 93 v8 zjs

with the larger collector size they flow much better (almost as good as shorty headers)

If you want the best flow using manifolds get a RS 1968-70 dodge 340 mani and LS 92-93 mani

Suggested Threads
  • Best Header - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (10 replies)
  • header - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (1 replies)
  • header options - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (8 replies)
  • header - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (5 replies)
  • header - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (0 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.