5.2 Harmonic Balancer doesn't fully seat - I'm about a belt rib off?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.2 Harmonic Balancer doesn't fully seat - I'm about a belt rib off??

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-31-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
MikeyM
1998 ZJ 

5.2 Harmonic Balancer doesn't fully seat - I'm about a belt rib off??

I swear this is frustrating. Like the title says I'm about 1 belt rib off on the serpentine. When installing the replacment balancer I got a couple grade 8 bolts, threaded them into the balancer and wedged my pry bar in between, cranked the balancer all the way down (or so I thought) and torqued to 135 lbs, installed the belt and lined it up on all pullies, started the engine and noticed the belt jumped a rib off at the crank pulley. So pulled the lower pulley, repeated the above and was able to get it to seat a tad more.. the problem is I really torqued on it to get it to move (past the 135 ft lbs.) until I started to get scared I was going to strip the threads in the crankshaft or break something. Plus the bolt was super hard to continue to turn, I didn't feel safe pulling on it further. I swear I need maybe less than 1/16" to get the serpentine belt to run true.

Any ideas on what I can do or did wrong? I checked a couple different places and they both showed the same PN for the balancer I got - Dayco PB1004N.

Thanks alot,
Mikey

'98 ZJ 5.2L V8, full intake, exhaust, & ignition mods, Rusty's 4" coils with front TB conversion, rear ORGS TB, OME long travels & SS, Tera QDs, Yakima rack w/goodies, BFG 31" MT/KMs, full skids, front and rear diffy guards, Donavee rear swing-out tire carrier. 213k, 18-19 hwy.
MikeyM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2014, 11:42 PM   #2
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyM View Post
Any ideas on what I can do or did wrong?
My guess is you're using the wrong tool. You need a harmonic balancer installer to seat the balancer correctly without stripping the threads or beating on it like a cave man. They can be rented from any auto parts place and returned for a full refund.
jm8881 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2014, 04:41 AM   #3
firsttimeZJ13
1995 ZJ 

I just used the bolt to install mine twice lately. Didn't have any issues with them lining up at all.
Unread 08-01-2014, 06:05 AM   #4
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Do a side by side comparison to the old one . Never used a special tool for these yet . They are a tight fit , but not a press on , the crank bolt should pull it all the way in w/o issue . I did find the 5.2 tighter than the 5.9 , not sure why .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2014, 07:28 AM   #5
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
My guess is you're using the wrong tool. You need a harmonic balancer installer to seat the balancer correctly without stripping the threads or beating on it like a cave man. They can be rented from any auto parts place and returned for a full refund.
This.

You need a harmonic balancer installer. It won't strip the crank threads.
Unread 08-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeZJ13 View Post
I just used the bolt to install mine
x2
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeZJ13 View Post
I just used the bolt to install mine twice lately. Didn't have any issues with them lining up at all.
X3. I did have to use McCloud's patented "redneck enginuity cranky stabilitizer" to get it torqued properly without turning the crank.

On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #8
firsttimeZJ13
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ

X3. I did have to use McCloud's patented "redneck enginuity cranky stabilitizer" to get it torqued properly without turning the crank.
I put the torque bar on and had it pried against the sway bar, pull the coil wire and turn the key a few times until the torque bar clicked. Sometimes you have to make the jeep work for you since you work for it so much! Haha!
Unread 08-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
MikeyM
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the replies, guys. Using the regular crank bolt I was able to pull it all the way down.. well almost. I suppose the resistance I am feeling with the stock bolt is because the installer would not be pulling on the crank threads as I am, rather on the rod threaded into the crank.
'98 ZJ 5.2L V8, full intake, exhaust, & ignition mods, Rusty's 4" coils with front TB conversion, rear ORGS TB, OME long travels & SS, Tera QDs, Yakima rack w/goodies, BFG 31" MT/KMs, full skids, front and rear diffy guards, Donavee rear swing-out tire carrier. 213k, 18-19 hwy.
Unread 08-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #10
MikeyM
1998 ZJ 

Update below.
Unread 08-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #11
MikeyM
1998 ZJ 

Update: You were entirely correct. This job is finished and I feel slightly retarded. Especially after I watched this video:
. I should have known to use the right tool for the job especially after what I preach to everyone. At least I wasn't considering beating on it; I figured the thrust bearings would take a beating. It was hard enough getting the bolt back off since I almost destroyed it by using it as a press. The installer tool really is the way to go. One thing I did not remember from days past (looong past) is the acutal piece of the installer that sits against the balancer and bears the load is a bearinged unit so when you torque down on the nut to press the balancer on there's very little to no friction.. had it done in 10 mins. with very little effort. Didnt even need to block the engine until it came time for final torque.

So.. word of unsolicited advice even if you have used the bolt or different bolts - using the installer is the way to go; makes it MUCH easier.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Mikey.
Unread 08-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #12
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Glad you got it sorted out. The correct tool makes life that much easier.

jm8881 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.