5.2 failed smog any ideas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.2 failed smog any ideas?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 06-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
biggreen
1995 ZJ 

5.2 failed smog any ideas?

my 5.2 failed smog last weekend due to a very high hydrocarbon at idle. At higher rpm it passed with flying colors but at idle it was more than 4 times the max amount allowed. A few people told me to replace the cat so i went ahead and did that and haven't retested it yet. I wanted a couple more opinions first.

biggreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

mine did that, check all your plugs, iac, do a fresh oil change right before you take it in to get tested. Use some junk out or whatever it's called fuel system cleaner the tank before you get it re-tested.
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
biggreen
1995 ZJ 

I just replaced the iac but I will definitely check the plugs as well as run some fuel cleaner through it and do my oil change since its due for it anyway
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

If you replaced the cat.. go check it again.. they should do it for free the second time.. That's how they did it around here when you fail emissions
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:03 AM   #5
kachink
1998 ZJ 

Hydrocarbon is unburned gas. I would suspect maybe the O2 sensor, or an exhaust leak upstream of the O2 sensor that is sucking air in and fooling the computer into thinking it's running leaner than it really is. Are there any codes stored?
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
exmilitary
1998 ZJ 

If the truck has it you might want to check egr valve. If it is defective it will give hc and no2 readings.
exmilitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
just_urd
1998 ZJ 

Replace the cat, save the old one, have them do a bolt on set up, drive straight from there and have it smogged. Assuming it'll pass, put the old one back on, and save the new one for a spare when it really needs to be replaced... Gotta love California emissions.
If it runs good as is, don't change anything else, unless it's absolutely needed...
just_urd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_urd View Post
Replace the cat, save the old one, have them do a bolt on set up, drive straight from there and have it smogged. Assuming it'll pass, put the old one back on, and save the new one for a spare when it really needs to be replaced... Gotta love California emissions.
If it runs good as is, don't change anything else, unless it's absolutely needed...
He already replaced the cat
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
just_urd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj

He already replaced the cat
Yeah, I've been having this problem of over reading some posts. I need to work on it... Especially if I'm gonna drop my two cents.
just_urd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Simplest thing you can do about hydrocarbons at idle is to make sure the engine is hot when they smog it. Drive up and down the highway and then go straight to the emission testing center.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
biggreen
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for all the advice. I will be taking it to get smogged again probably on Monday after I get back in town. Hope for the best!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.