5.2 Coolant Return Tube - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.2 Coolant Return Tube

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
chetzar
1994 ZJ 

5.2 Coolant Return Tube

So I have recently done my intake/plenum/valve cover gaskets, using the Hughes Engines kit, and got everything to go back together nicely except one thing: the Coolant Return Tube.

What is the trick to this puppy? Mine fully seated, mounting holes lined up perfect and everything, but it leaking, and leaking quite a bit. I replaced the O-Ring on it (with the one included in the Hughes Engine Kit), is my best bet to try and find another O-Ring, or put the O-Ring on and RTV it? I'd rather NOT use RTV because if for some reason I have to remove it again, I know it will be a pain. Also, I'd rather not replace the water pump (however I doubt this is the issue or would solve my problem), as the coolant is leaking from around where this pipe seats into the water pump.

chetzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Make sure both mating surfaces are clean and your bypass tube is in good shape. Slightly turn while installing. If it still leaks just use some quick curing RTV.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
chetzar
1994 ZJ 

I took it out today, got a new o-ring from advance, a slightly thicker one, it tore some of the material off when going in, but was still very tight. I ended up putting black RTV on the pipe before the O-Ring and slid it back into place, some of the RTV oozed out, so using my finger and a bit more RTV, I made sure it was nice and even all the way around. Guess I'll find out tomorrow if it works, because the tube says allow 24 hours for full cure.
Unread 05-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

Mine leaked when I did my pump so I got another o ring and greased it. Gently putting it back together and making sure it seated properly.... No leaks thus far.
Unread 05-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

You wont find the correct o-ring size at any store anywhere using the O ring kits.. You only get the correct size o-ring from the fel-pro waterpump gasket kit, or from the "HELP" section heaterbypass tube from advance auto or autozone. The tube has the o ring on it. That or get one from a new water pump box..

Here is what the tube looks like on autozone.. If the link doesnt work for you just type in heater bypass tube and click on the motormyte one for $14

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._&newYmme=true

Trust me, me you and countless others always have issues with this tube when putting the timingcover/waterpump back together lol. You'll only get this to work with the correct o-ring and the tube needs to go in completetly flush if its crooked itll cut the o-ring. The best way to get it in is to lube it up with some butter or oil and it will slide right in. Dont even bother keep trying using the o-rings from kits because as you see they are too thick and you'll only bend or worse scratch the waterpump inside and then you'll be screwed.. It should just slide in with the correct o-ring no force needed.
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
I used two o-rings on mine, and that seemed to fix things.
EDIT: mine didn't have a groove in it, buy merely reduced down in size. Tough to put two on the one in the link above.
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
chetzar
1994 ZJ 

RTV for the win, leak is gone, but I may have to replace the radiator drain plug, as it is leaking a very slow drip.
Unread 05-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetzar View Post
RTV for the win, leak is gone, but I may have to replace the radiator drain plug, as it is leaking a very slow drip.
That's easy. They sell them in the HELP section. Di it with everything stone cold & the radiator cap on, and you shouldn't lose much coolant. I usually put a little teflon grease on the o-ring and threads.
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
KJK
1998 ZJ 

I used a green A/C O-ring. Whatever size one fit the tube nicely. These are available in packs at any auto parts store. It slipped into the water pump real easy (lubed) and sealed great.
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
jimbone007
1998 ZJ 

i just put in a new water pump and had to put a new inlet tube in and what a pain...... the inlet tube i got at advance auto was half the length of the original so when i put it on it was basically pressed up against the power steering pump/pulley.......so i bent it a little then managed to get the hose on it but its a little kinked but i don't think its bad enough to effect the flow.at least i hope not.It was also the type that had the o-ring so i put it in then used ultimate black rtv around where the inlet tube meets the pump. im letting it sit until tomorrow then filling it up with coolant and testing it out hopefully no leaks!!!
jimbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.