5.2 Clutch to 5.9 Electric Fan Conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.2 Clutch to 5.9 Electric Fan Conversion

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #1
josephmartins
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

5.2 Clutch to 5.9 Electric Fan Conversion

I thought I'd post the result of a conversation I just had with a local Jeep dealer.

My question was: Which factory parts do I need in order to run an electric fan assembly from a 1998 5.9L ZJ in a 1997 ZJ Ltd? [note that I asked which "factory parts" I would need.]

Naively I figured there might be some relays, a wiring harness, clips and such. Boy was I wrong.

According to the service department, I'd need the whole smash...the ECU, the complete wiring harness, relays and such from the 5.9 in order to do an OEM-like install. The ECU alone is around $800. And he guessed that the complete install would run around $2500. And he concluded by saying his shop wouldn't want to tackle the job.

Then he recommended an aftermarket variable speed electric fan wiring kit....which was my second choice anyway. I just had no idea the first option was so involved.

So anyway, all this to say that I guess I won't get my OEM install after all. But I will post a step-by-step in a month or so when I complete the conversion.

Joe Martins
Dublin, NH

Joe Martins
Milford, NH

12 Wrangler Sahara JK8 conversion, <10 miles (FOR SALE, $56,700)
01 WJ Limited, 4.7, 247, black on black, 157k miles (sold)
96 XJ Classic, 4.0, 242, black on grey, 267k miles (sold)
00 XJ Sport, 4.0, 242, fern green on grey, 76k miles (sold)
90 XJ Wagoneer, 4.0, 242, burgundy on tan, unknown mileage (sold)
97 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 249, black on black, 138k miles (wrecked 12/15/05)
98 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 249, burgundy on black, 197k miles (sold)
josephmartins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2005, 03:36 PM   #2
mr_user

Do a search on "Taurus." Old Mark's and Tauruses had electric fans that bolt right into the Jeeps replacing the clutched fan. The swap is easy, and you can mount the switches anywhere. No need for new ECU or anything.

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
mr_user is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2005, 11:32 PM   #3
josephmartins
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Thanks Matt, I'm definitely going to look into it.

Joe

Joe Martins
Milford, NH

12 Wrangler Sahara JK8 conversion, <10 miles (FOR SALE, $56,700)
01 WJ Limited, 4.7, 247, black on black, 157k miles (sold)
96 XJ Classic, 4.0, 242, black on grey, 267k miles (sold)
00 XJ Sport, 4.0, 242, fern green on grey, 76k miles (sold)
90 XJ Wagoneer, 4.0, 242, burgundy on tan, unknown mileage (sold)
97 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 249, black on black, 138k miles (wrecked 12/15/05)
98 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 249, burgundy on black, 197k miles (sold)
josephmartins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_user View Post
Do a search on "Taurus." Old Mark's and Tauruses had electric fans that bolt right into the Jeeps replacing the clutched fan. The swap is easy, and you can mount the switches anywhere. No need for new ECU or anything.
I've been thinking about an e-fan swap since I got my Jeep, but was wondering about the loss of cooling to the transmission since the e-fans only kick on when the engine gets hot and I'll be driving in some rather severe arctic weather this winter. Any thoughts?
Glued2aPost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

The 5.9's e-fan is not controlled by the computer, so you wouldn't need to change that out.

Basically, you have the fan assembly itself, and then you have a series of 3 switches and 3 relays that control the high and low speeds automatically. They're all connected by a wiring harness that is assembled separately from the rest of the engine compartment wiring and then taped along side it so it looks like it's built in. The only place where it really ties into the rest of the harness is at one connector beside the fuse box that has a large wire carrying power from the battery (via a fuse in the fuse box) and a smaller wire that carries voltage when the ignition is on.

There is a switch in each radiator hose, and a tee that allows for mounting of such. And there is a special high-pressure A/C hose that has a second port for a second switch that kicks on the fan when the A/C compressor runs.

If you really wanted to add the fan, your best bet would be to find a niner to pull these pieces from. You could also build all your own from scratch if you needed to. It's a pretty simple system once you understand it.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Dealers are idiots. Don't ask them about modifications and expect correct answers, unless you get lucky and find that one in a thousand parts guy. And the reason that guy knows the answer is because of what he does at home. Not because of his dealership job.

good luck with the conversion
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.