4x4 WJ QuadraDrive Hi Not Working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4x4 WJ QuadraDrive Hi Not Working

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-11-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
gkbid
2004 WJ 

4x4 WJ QuadraDrive 4WD Not Working

Hi - I'm new to this forum. Got rid of my Expedition this summer and picked up a 99 Grand Limited. I've had an XJ and a ZJ and decided it was time to get back in a Jeep.

Had our first snowfall since owning the WJ and found out the all time 4WD doesn't work in snow. The Low 4WD worked like a champ - but nothing from the front wheels in the standard full time setting. I've checked a number of threads here and found that the VC system of the QuadraDrive is really touchy... and expensive.

My WJ has the 4.7 with QuadraDrive II and 75K on the clock, I don't know when the TC or Tranny fluids were last changed (trans fluid is bright red and doesn't smell burnt). Note that the previous owner put new Firestone tires on the front right before I bought it - Goodyears are still on the back- (P245 70SR16). I didn't know how tires affect the WJ's viscous coupling until I read about it today. The vehicle makes a slight whinning noise when underway (it is louder when cold).

I am going to put 4 matching tires on it ASAP and I'd really appreciate any advice on what I should do to get the Hi-4WD working again.

Thanks in advance for the help.

gkbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2005, 04:36 PM   #2
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

The NV247 does not have a VC like the ZJ 249, the 247 has a PC. I would start by draining the TC fluid and adding the NV247 TC fluid that you can get from your dealer... see if that helps...
Unread 12-11-2005, 09:04 PM   #3
gkbid
2004 WJ 

Thanks, I'll give that a shot...

Past Jeeps: 2001 WJ 4.7 Ltd / 1999 WJ 4.7 Ltd / 1993 ZJ 5.2 GW, 1988 XJ 4.0 Ltd
gkbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2005, 08:23 AM   #4
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

It is important that the actual diameter of the front and rear tires be as close to the same as possible (i would say less than 1 inch circumference or 1/3 inch diameter). Otherwise, the transfer case get overstressed by the different rotational speed. But you knew that.

Also, you probably have open differntials (not sure about QD II though), could that be the problem? I know that in very slippery surfaces (black ice) one get both right (or left) tire spinning and 4x4 becomes worthless.
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2005, 08:27 AM   #5
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZJ
It is important that the actual diameter of the front and rear tires be as close to the same as possible (i would say less than 1 inch circumference or 1/3 inch diameter). Otherwise, the transfer case get overstressed by the different rotational speed. But you knew that.

Also, you probably have open differntials (not sure about QD II though), could that be the problem? I know that in very slippery surfaces (black ice) one get both right (or left) tire spinning and 4x4 becomes worthless.

There is no QDII in a WJ so I am not sure where he got that but if he has QD he has Limited Slip (LSD) in the front and rear. If he has QTII then he has a LSD in the rear. Also like said all the tires need to be exactly the same size!...

Check out www.wjjeeps.com for info on the 4WD systems for the WJ.
Unread 12-12-2005, 08:33 AM   #6
Diehard

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine59
There is no QDII in a WJ so I am not sure where he got that but if he has QD he has Limited Slip (LSD) in the front and rear. If he has QTII then he has a LSD in the rear. Also like said all the tires need to be exactly the same size!...

Check out www.wjjeeps.com for info on the 4WD systems for the WJ.
I think he'll only have the LSD if it was ordered or on his build sheet. I have a '04 GC 4.7 with the QT II and don't have LSD.
2004 GC Spec. Edit. V8 4x4 Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat, 4" lift, RE shocks, adj. JKS CAs all around, 265/75/16, 10 ply., Maxxis Bighorns, ProtoFab winch bumper, Vortex 10,000 lb. winch, dual OME steering stabilizer, Rockyroad rockrails, skids, JKS Discos. Addco front & rear sway bar, & Aussie locker. Next year? : Rear bumper with tire carrier.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2005, 08:34 AM   #7
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Seems to be a somewhat common occurance. From time to time I hear about people with QD where in 4wd all-time the rear wheels will spin and spin and the front never kicks in.

Unfortunately I never heard about how it got fixed.
I haven't gotten a chanse to fully test mine. We had plenty of black ice last week but I had no problems at all (allthough I am not sure that it needed to kick in at all, unlike most texans I have lots of winder driving experience).

QD does not have open diffs, it has the vari-lok limited slip diffs in I believe both front and rears so that should not be a problem. It seems sometimes there is a problem in the transfer case that makes the on-the-fly power redirection not work.

maybe I can go find myself a nice mud hole and put my rear end in it (the cars rear end) and see if mine works.
LEDFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2005, 08:39 AM   #8
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard
I think he'll only have the LSD if it was ordered or on his build sheet. I have a '04 GC 4.7 with the QT II and don't have LSD.
Quadra Drive is the same as Quadra Track II with added front and rear limited slips.
Unread 12-12-2005, 08:57 AM   #9
Diehard

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDFoot
Quadra Drive is the same as Quadra Track II with added front and rear limited slips.
Yes, I know that, but he stated that the "QT II had LSD in the rear", and I said but only if it was ordered. There is a QD II, only in a WK not a WJ.
2004 GC Spec. Edit. V8 4x4 Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat, 4" lift, RE shocks, adj. JKS CAs all around, 265/75/16, 10 ply., Maxxis Bighorns, ProtoFab winch bumper, Vortex 10,000 lb. winch, dual OME steering stabilizer, Rockyroad rockrails, skids, JKS Discos. Addco front & rear sway bar, & Aussie locker. Next year? : Rear bumper with tire carrier.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2005, 09:11 AM   #10
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Yes, I know that, but he stated that the "QT II had LSD in the rear", and I said but only if it was ordered. There is a QD II, only in a WK not a WJ.
Yes I just realized that. I guess the confusion is wether he has Quadra Drive or Quadra Track II.
I believe that 99 4.7s had QD as standard equipment though.
Unread 12-12-2005, 11:59 AM   #11
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:

I guess I thought they did...
Unread 12-13-2005, 12:38 AM   #12
CTORT

THERE SEEMS TO BE A WEE BIT OF MIS-INFORMATION ON THIS THREAD. Some of you have tried to dispel this.

1. In 99 the Trac-lok LSD was NOT available with the 4.7L.
In 2000 the Trac-lok was NOT available with the 4.7, Quadra-trac II, OR Quadra-drive (apparently you could delete the Vari-lok in '99 and substitute a rear LSD?).
In 2001 it was only available on 2wd models & by 2002 there were no LSD's available and was replaced always by the Vari-lok.

2. The Vari-lok (Quadra-drive f/r axle traction aid) is NOT A LIMITED SLIP. This is the unit found paired usually with the Quadra-drive (unless ordered as a Rear ONLY option on other 4wd systems). It is a progressive, speed sensing transfer unit with a Gerotor Coupling. It acts the COMPLETE opposite to that of the operation of a limited slip. Sorry, it just kind erks me when folks label a vari-lok as a LSD, or even worse a "posi" (name owned by Chevolet for their design of a LSD).
It's important to use the correct terminology when describing similar things, simplistic or not. - Especially on a forum specifically talking about GC's (or your topic at hand for that matter).
A vari-lok will 'progressively' force more and more torque to a wheel with grip. A LSD with inherently push torque to the wheel with the LESS grip while it does not overcome the pre-loaded friction setting, allowing some spare torque to flow to the wheel with grip. Once it hits that magic pre-loaded torque setting (or less due to wear) it breaks free of those friction bonds and sends ALL power to the wheel with LESS grip.

3. I have heard the same thing that 4.7's had Quadra-drive std, but I personally have seen & driven a v-8 without Quadra-drive...but maybe that was a different year. In '99 the Laredo 'E' package was available with QD as an option but I didn't think the 4.7 was available for the 'E' - only the 'F'. :?:
Good proof would be "gkbid" and his set-up once we hear back from him. Perhaps he meant to say he has "Quadra-trac II" since the only reason he may flub those words is by seeing the "II" on his shifter console. In that case, we know he DOESN'T have Quadra-drive STD w/ the 4.7. But seeing as it's a Limited theres a greater chance it's Quadra-DRIVE.

Last edited by CTORT; 12-13-2005 at 01:12 AM..
CTORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 08:39 AM   #13
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

I guess I was always just told the QD was LSD's... I thought it used clutch packs just like a LSD though... I guess I just don't unerstand exactly how it works... it does work well though!
Unread 12-13-2005, 08:46 AM   #14
CTORT

yeah, it does have clutch packs....but uses a pump to apply pressure one way or the other. I have the FSM description of operation but I'd be nuts to try to tranpose the 3 pages of text onto here!
CTORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 08:56 AM   #15
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTORT
THERE SEEMS TO BE A WEE BIT OF MIS-INFORMATION ON THIS THREAD. Some of you have tried to dispel this.

1. In 99 the Trac-lok LSD was NOT available with the 4.7L.
In 2000 the Trac-lok was NOT available with the 4.7, Quadra-trac II, OR Quadra-drive (apparently you could delete the Vari-lok in '99 and substitute a rear LSD?).
In 2001 it was only available on 2wd models & by 2002 there were no LSD's available and was replaced always by the Vari-lok.

2. The Vari-lok (Quadra-drive f/r axle traction aid) is NOT A LIMITED SLIP. This is the unit found paired usually with the Quadra-drive (unless ordered as a Rear ONLY option on other 4wd systems). It is a progressive, speed sensing transfer unit with a Gerotor Coupling. It acts the COMPLETE opposite to that of the operation of a limited slip. Sorry, it just kind erks me when folks label a vari-lok as a LSD, or even worse a "posi" (name owned by Chevolet for their design of a LSD).
It's important to use the correct terminology when describing similar things, simplistic or not. - Especially on a forum specifically talking about GC's (or your topic at hand for that matter).
A vari-lok will 'progressively' force more and more torque to a wheel with grip. A LSD with inherently push torque to the wheel with the LESS grip while it does not overcome the pre-loaded friction setting, allowing some spare torque to flow to the wheel with grip. Once it hits that magic pre-loaded torque setting (or less due to wear) it breaks free of those friction bonds and sends ALL power to the wheel with LESS grip.

3. I have heard the same thing that 4.7's had Quadra-drive std, but I personally have seen & driven a v-8 without Quadra-drive...but maybe that was a different year. In '99 the Laredo 'E' package was available with QD as an option but I didn't think the 4.7 was available for the 'E' - only the 'F'. :?:
Good proof would be "gkbid" and his set-up once we hear back from him. Perhaps he meant to say he has "Quadra-trac II" since the only reason he may flub those words is by seeing the "II" on his shifter console. In that case, we know he DOESN'T have Quadra-drive STD w/ the 4.7. But seeing as it's a Limited theres a greater chance it's Quadra-DRIVE.

Thanks, I was always wondering what the difference was between the vari-loc and the trac-loc since I always just heard they were limited slip diffs.

I would be extremely curious to see a detailed description of it.. Perhaps the pages could be scanned?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.