4x4 info center (laredo version of VIC) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4x4 info center (laredo version of VIC)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

4x4 info center (laredo version of VIC)

Has anyone else had issues where rear wheels intermetently stop lighting up on the display?

Mine does randomly, more often in cold. Is it a broken solder? Bad wire? Or just unit is dying?

Even when rears are out, fronts will light up and part time/full time lights always work.

(o) )-o---) ) (o) )-o---) )______
jmonty0523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Mine does the exact same thing I'm curious as to what the problem is, if its an easy fix I might repair whatever the problem is.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Mine does this too. Still shifts, dont care
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonty0523 View Post
Has anyone else had issues where rear wheels intermetently stop lighting up on the display?

Mine does randomly, more often in cold. Is it a broken solder? Bad wire? Or just unit is dying?

Even when rears are out, fronts will light up and part time/full time lights always work.
In my case it was a bad connection somewhere under the dash, didn't have the patience to track down the exact location. I just ran a new wire to the engine compartment. My guess would be a bad connection at the junction block.
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Likely a loose connection...

Possibly corroded pins or loose connection at GDM rear panel connector. Reseat GDM rear panel connector.

2WD Rear Wheel lamps are controlled by LG/OR wire. Using Ohmmeter, check with power OFF... LG/OR wire at GDM rear panel connector should be grounded. If grounded, then GDM may have bad internal solder joint.

Locate LG/OR wire at this connector under the hood at firewall to the right from PCM. Check (with power OFF) for ground on LG/OR wire on BOTH sides of this connector. If grounded, then likely a bad/loose connection in the Junction Block. If not grounded, then check for a bad/loose connection at the transfer case switch, same LG/OR wire.

(edit: added Junction Block pic)
Same LG/OR wires here. Both should be grounded.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Mine would light up whenever it felt like it. When I finally got around to trying to fix it, it turned out to be a broken solder connection. One of the pins on the board for the plug had an obvious broken solder joint. So I spent 5 minutes resoldering every single solder point on the board. Now it works with no problems.
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
BigJohn96ZJ
1996 ZJ 

When mine does this i just tap or flick it and it comes back on.

Does anyone know what the square on the right side of the GDM is for? Ive never seen it light up or do anything. Is it just blank?
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

i believe theres a light for low coolant over there, look at it with a flash light and you can probably see whats there.

Mine also can come on with a tap or two, so sounds like broken solders...
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

i tried the tapping method it don't work.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 04:48 AM   #10
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

Pre '96 is slightly different. Different parts can have different issues i'd assume, try checking the wires.
Unread 01-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
jscenrg
1996 ZJ 

This is odd... Another instace where our jeeps are having issues related to wiring/connections/solder joints... Mine does the same thing as all of you are describing too. I guess it's time for more of the same electrical checks/repairs...
Unread 01-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
Dumpy
1972 J-Series Truck 

Mine does the same thing. I pulled it out and the problem is at the connection at the back of the VIC. if I put upward pressure on the connection, it lights up. being in a hurry, I just put some electrical tape around that and the screw tab, and it worked good for a few days, then the tape stretched. Might try to just use wire to hold it up. I'm OCD about that kind of crap. or, just get rid of the whole thing altogether and put in a 2WD cubby
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
jeepgirl1321
1997 ZJ 

i had the same problem, and mine glowed from time to time, but i ran the wires it really cant be fixed, but it isnt doing any harm to it!
jeepgirl1321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.