4x4 front axle oil vs rear axle oil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4x4 front axle oil vs rear axle oil

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

4x4 front axle oil vs rear axle oil

does the front axle oil wear out considering the jeep is always in 2wd mode?
I just changed out the rear oil to mobil 1 synthetic 90w and was wondering if it was worth bothering with the front.

sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
ZooTech
1995 ZJ 

Everything is still spinning, the gears just aren't meshed together under drive tension is all. Plus, gear oil breaks down over time, not just usage. I'd change both.
~ Rough Country Nitro 9000 shocks
~ 31x10.5x15 Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers
~ 15x8 black Unique wheels
ZooTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

true it spins around, but not under any heavy pressure like the rear.
I might consider doing it if you will tell me my MPG will go up when I put in synthetic gear oil.
Unread 07-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
ajmorell

Your mileage won't go up but you'd only be doing yourself a favor if the front hasn't been changed in a while. The front might not be under any load but there is still friction present which generates the heat that breaks down the oil.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
ZooTech
1995 ZJ 

The only thing I'm gonna tell you is that it's your Jeep and your money, pick your battles. Changing the lube is about preventative maintenance. If you don't think it's worth your time/money that's all you.
~ Rough Country Nitro 9000 shocks
~ 31x10.5x15 Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers
~ 15x8 black Unique wheels
ZooTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
true it spins around, but not under any heavy pressure like the rear.
I might consider doing it if you will tell me my MPG will go up when I put in synthetic gear oil.
Wow, really? As someone who had to swap in a new D30 because the PO didn't do a lick of PM, I'd go ahead and recommend you doing this if you don't know when it was done last or know the condition of the fluid that's in there currently. Just my $.02, though.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

I dont know when it was done and the jeep has 186000 miles on it.

On the rear, I got rid of the leaky plastic plug.
I brazed on a 1 inch pipe threaded fitting and screwed in a recessed plug. First though I cut it down on the saw, all you need is about 3/8 inch of the cast iron pipe fitting. I was too cheap to go buy another leaky plastic plug. I took off the cover to drain it and have a look at the gears. Cleaned all the rust off and epoxied it and the shot it wit black paint. It looks great and is highly functional.
Unread 07-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
I dont know when it was done and the jeep has 186000 miles on it.

On the rear, I got rid of the leaky plastic plug.
I brazed on a 1 inch pipe threaded fitting and screwed in a recessed plug. First though I cut it down on the saw, all you need is about 3/8 inch of the cast iron pipe fitting. I was too cheap to go buy another leaky plastic plug. I took off the cover to drain it and have a look at the gears. Cleaned all the rust off and epoxied it and the shot it wit black paint. It looks great and is highly functional.
If you want to grenade your front axle by leaving the same gear oil in for another 186k miles because you're "too cheap" to do the most basic maintenance, go for it. Just don't expect to have a working Jeep for very long.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 07:43 AM   #9
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

well I pulled the plug out and the fluid is clear and oily not black not dirty.
does anyone know if gear oils shear down with age, do they get thicker or thinner? the oil in there seems perfect. It is so clean looking I am thinking it must have been changed. But of course it never is under any real loading is it.
Unread 07-09-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
If you want to grenade your front axle by leaving the same gear oil in for another 186k miles because you're "too cheap" to do the most basic maintenance, go for it. Just don't expect to have a working Jeep for very long.
Yea, thats all there is to it right there.

Chrysler recommends changing diff fluid every 12k-30k miles
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #11
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraTokn View Post
Yea, thats all there is to it right there.

Chrysler recommends changing diff fluid every 12k-30k miles
I'm trying to wait until I can afford some True-tracs and 4.10 gearing. I'm not in a position to do the diffs myself so I really don't want to pay $100 to have the fluid changed. I suppose preventative maintenance would be worth it though. It might not be that expensive after all...I don't know.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #12
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
I'm trying to wait until I can afford some True-tracs and 4.10 gearing. I'm not in a position to do the diffs myself so I really don't want to pay $100 to have the fluid changed. I suppose preventative maintenance would be worth it though. It might not be that expensive after all...I don't know.
The difference in technical knowledge/time spent between those two chores isn't even comparable. All you need to do a fluid change is a tube of RTV, basic sockets or wrenches, somewhere to drain the fluid and something to fill it back up (something as simple as a turkey baster works just fine).
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #13
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
well I pulled the plug out and the fluid is clear and oily not black not dirty.
does anyone know if gear oils shear down with age, do they get thicker or thinner? the oil in there seems perfect. It is so clean looking I am thinking it must have been changed. But of course it never is under any real loading is it.
Well if you say it won't wear down because it isn't "under any real loading" then you know best and there is no need to change it. What is the question then?
Unread 07-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #14
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
Well if you say it won't wear down because it isn't "under any real loading" then you know best and there is no need to change it. What is the question then?
Yea, when in doubt ALWAYS do that maintenance dude (OP)
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.