4x4 conversion on ZJ.. (not beating horse dead) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4x4 conversion on ZJ.. (not beating horse dead)

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

4x4 conversion on ZJ.. (not beating horse dead)

Buddy was looking for a thread on this... and there used to be one that somebody did that had pictures and step by step and I have used the search bar couldn't find the exact one, and also google searched with the (JF) in the search... couldn't find it.

Any help thanks!

Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
MrObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

What do you want to know?

Swap in a Dana 30 (HP preferred from an XJ), remove and replace the 2wd transmission for a 4wd model , add transfer case of choice, shifter assembly and some driveshafts.

Piece of cake........

Unread 06-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
What do you want to know?

Swap in a Dana 30 (HP preferred from an XJ), remove and replace the 2wd transmission for a 4wd model , add transfer case of choice, shifter assembly and some driveshafts.

Piece of cake........

LOL piece of cake, I know there was a "step by step"...
So you swap out front axle from an XJ (4x4 front axle), replace with a transmission (4wd) from same year ZJ? and then the transfer and front and rear shafts?
Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
Unread 06-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
LOL piece of cake, I know there was a "step by step"...
So you swap out front axle from an XJ (4x4 front axle), replace with a transmission (4wd) from same year ZJ? and then the transfer and front and rear shafts?
And the shifter mechanism......

Can be done in a weekend with the right tools and some help.

You can use a front LP axle from another ZJ, but IMO if you are going to go through all the trouble you might as well put in a HP.

Just make sure you get one with the correct gears to match what you have in the rear.
Unread 06-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Or, just sell the 2wd model and buy another one that already has 4wd.

LOL.

I build all of my own stuff, so something like what I described would not bother me. You can buy a complete Jeep and swap in all of the parts you need pretty cheap.
Unread 06-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

TRANS FLOOR SHIFTER
TRANS SHIFTER CABLE
TRANS KICK-DOWN LINKAGE
TRANS SHIFTER ARM
TRANS SHIFTER BOOT
TRANS SHIFTER COLLAR(COLUMN)
TRANS SHIFTER CONSOLE
TRANS SHIFTER KNOB
TRANS TAIL HOUSING
TRANS VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY
TRANSMISSION
4x4 Floor Selector
HP Front 4x4 Axle
Front/Rear Drive Shaft
U-Joints And Yoke
Transfer Case

Sound About Right?
Unread 06-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

I want to do the swap because I have never done one, he picked up a ZJ for basically nothing it runs and drives perfectly just wants 4wd
Unread 06-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
TRANS FLOOR SHIFTER
TRANS SHIFTER CABLE
TRANS KICK-DOWN LINKAGE
TRANS SHIFTER ARM
TRANS SHIFTER BOOT
TRANS SHIFTER COLLAR(COLUMN)
TRANS SHIFTER CONSOLE
TRANS SHIFTER KNOB
TRANS TAIL HOUSING
TRANS VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY
TRANSMISSION
4x4 Floor Selector
HP Front 4x4 Axle
Front/Rear Drive Shaft
U-Joints And Yoke
Transfer Case

Sound About Right?
Please post a picture of your column shifter, thanks. Lol
You need.
Front axle with gear ratio that matches the rear.
transmission from a 4wd zj of matching year range and engine.
drive shafts from a donor grand of the same year, motor and transfer case type.
Your choice of transfer case with the correct input spline count and length
Shifter Bezel, shifter, and linkage for the model transfer case you choose.

You could spend anywhere from a couple hundred to 1500$ on a project poke this.
I bet you can get a 4wd v8 zj in similar condition to his current zj for less than 1500$ more than he'll sell that at.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

ROFL...Didn't even notice I put Collumn shifter...
I posted that from the pick and pull page didn't notice I grabbed that also... DUUHHHH

Hey I'm sure its possible you never know. Anyways yeah we think we found him a 4x4 one, just need to see... if anything I will buy his 2wd and keep it for myself, if we can get the 4x4 for a decent price.

Anyways thanks.
Unread 07-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
InterpreDemon
1997 ZJ 

Bit late to chime in here a year later, but I have a '97 Limited 4.0 with 2WD and I would NEVER convert it to 4WD because it is the sweetest highway machine I have ever had since my '83 BMW 320i that I put over 600k miles on. Quiet, very light, smooth ride and nimble steering, great mileage and zero repairs. Of course it can't move out of its own shadow in the snow, even after I installed an ARB locker, but that's what the '96 5.2 4WD Limited and my RAM pickup are used for.

In fact my dream car is a '98 V8 Limited in 2WD, so if anybody has one for sale please let me know.
InterpreDemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.