Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Huntington Beach
4x4 conversion questions
I'm planning to convert my zj to 4x4 at the end of the month because the pick your part's over here all have 50% off days at the end of the month and I can get everything even cheaper than usual. I know the basic parts needed(or so I think) but I wanted to know if there is anyway to check if the transfer case or axle are usable.
This the list I've come to. I want to use the 242 T.C.
1. Front axle with gear ratio that matches the rear. (is high pinion d30 from any year xj bolt on)(is low pinion zj front end bolt on)?
2. transmission overdrive from a 4wd of same transmission 42re (is this just the rear section of it? is there any way to check if this rear section is usable or crapped out? does it matter what engine the tranny is attached to? does it matter what year its from?)
3. Front and rear drive shafts, how can I make sure I have the right lengths? (I've been doing a ton of research and have found a few sites with the lengths of shafts from different years and models)
4. nv/np 242 transfer case(how can i check that the transfer case is usable? (what is the difference in nv242 and np242, I've heard they are the same but the company changed the name.. but i also heard they're built differently? will the nv/np242 from any xj/zj work for me?)
4b. correct input spline count and length (how do i make sure my length and count are correct? what does the spline count need to match?)
5. Shifter Bezel, shifter, and linkage for 242 (is this just removing the shift lever and all attached parts that go to and from the transfer case, just take all tc linkage from same vehicle as the tc itself?)
I have read through the sticky on tc's, I've read multiple guides and looked up tons of different things. Some of the questions are just double checking what i've found, others are cause I have no idea. Sorry if any of these are blatantly answered else, I've been digging through information for the past few days now.
Thanks for the help.