4x4 conversion questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4x4 conversion questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
97ZJ-Ryan95
1997 ZJ 

4x4 conversion questions

I'm planning to convert my zj to 4x4 at the end of the month because the pick your part's over here all have 50% off days at the end of the month and I can get everything even cheaper than usual. I know the basic parts needed(or so I think) but I wanted to know if there is anyway to check if the transfer case or axle are usable.

This the list I've come to. I want to use the 242 T.C.

1. Front axle with gear ratio that matches the rear. (is high pinion d30 from any year xj bolt on)(is low pinion zj front end bolt on)?

2. transmission overdrive from a 4wd of same transmission 42re (is this just the rear section of it? is there any way to check if this rear section is usable or crapped out? does it matter what engine the tranny is attached to? does it matter what year its from?)

3. Front and rear drive shafts, how can I make sure I have the right lengths? (I've been doing a ton of research and have found a few sites with the lengths of shafts from different years and models)

4. nv/np 242 transfer case(how can i check that the transfer case is usable? (what is the difference in nv242 and np242, I've heard they are the same but the company changed the name.. but i also heard they're built differently? will the nv/np242 from any xj/zj work for me?)

4b. correct input spline count and length (how do i make sure my length and count are correct? what does the spline count need to match?)

5. Shifter Bezel, shifter, and linkage for 242 (is this just removing the shift lever and all attached parts that go to and from the transfer case, just take all tc linkage from same vehicle as the tc itself?)

I have read through the sticky on tc's, I've read multiple guides and looked up tons of different things. Some of the questions are just double checking what i've found, others are cause I have no idea. Sorry if any of these are blatantly answered else, I've been digging through information for the past few days now.

Thanks for the help.

97ZJ-Ryan95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

basically go buy a 4wd ZJ and swap the drivetrain into yours. you need everything but the motor.

or. just go buy a 4wd ZJ. this will be the easiest and cheapest way to do it.
sorry.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

there's about fifty threads on this already. since jeeps have gotten dirt cheap over the years, this swap really doesn't make financial sense unless your time is totally free and can't be better applied at a job that makes you money, and the parts are free or nearly free.
1. 3.73 geared xj's are super rare. stick to v8 zj's from 96-98. the early zj axle had a longer pinion and you'd be harder pressed getting the right drive shaft.
2. best to get the whole trans. if you don't, the overdrive apply servo is shimmed from the factory to account for machining tolerance to get the correct end play in the input and output shafts.normally taking the spacer that goes with the trans you pulled it from will work ok. but there's a chance it will burn up faster than normal. there are no in vehicle tests you have the equipment or skill to perform. the ONLY unit you can use will come from an i6 zj. best to keep it to 96-98 years.
3. pull them from a zj that has the same equipment you're going to install and is the same year range
4. you'll need to disassemble the case to inpsect it basically. i haven't seen too many 242 cases that don't have a stretched chain. get it from a 96-98 zj or xj and it'll have the input you need(all this is covered in the stickies)
5. you'll need the shift linkage, handle, bezel, and likely transmission pan cover. not sure if they just used a block off plate on the tunnel or a whole different cover like the 5spd used.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

Will see you in san bernaghetto on the 18th
well be swooping my 242 and skids that day too haha
OldManTan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
97ZJ-Ryan95
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
there's about fifty threads on this already. since jeeps have gotten dirt cheap over the years, this swap really doesn't make financial sense unless your time is totally free and can't be better applied at a job that makes you money, and the parts are free or nearly free.
1. 3.73 geared xj's are super rare. stick to v8 zj's from 96-98. the early zj axle had a longer pinion and you'd be harder pressed getting the right drive shaft.
2. best to get the whole trans. if you don't, the overdrive apply servo is shimmed from the factory to account for machining tolerance to get the correct end play in the input and output shafts.normally taking the spacer that goes with the trans you pulled it from will work ok. but there's a chance it will burn up faster than normal. there are no in vehicle tests you have the equipment or skill to perform. the ONLY unit you can use will come from an i6 zj. best to keep it to 96-98 years.
3. pull them from a zj that has the same equipment you're going to install and is the same year range
4. you'll need to disassemble the case to inpsect it basically. i haven't seen too many 242 cases that don't have a stretched chain. get it from a 96-98 zj or xj and it'll have the input you need(all this is covered in the stickies)
5. you'll need the shift linkage, handle, bezel, and likely transmission pan cover. not sure if they just used a block off plate on the tunnel or a whole different cover like the 5spd used.
that was great, thank you ratmonkey. so my best chance of getting it all right is to effectively find a 96-98 zj i6 42re but with 4x4 it seems?
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
97ZJ-Ryan95
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
basically go buy a 4wd ZJ and swap the drivetrain into yours. you need everything but the motor.

or. just go buy a 4wd ZJ. this will be the easiest and cheapest way to do it.
sorry.

Thanks Johnny, I would love to just sell it and buy a 4wd zj but my dad would never go for it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.