4WD Troubles? (newbie) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4WD Troubles? (newbie)

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-03-2005, 07:18 AM   #1
Brow

4WD Troubles? (newbie)

I have never had a 4WD vehicle before, so this is all new to me.

My 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee ( about a month old to me ) gave me quite a surprise this morning.

Let me fill you in on what I did last night before I explain...

Coming home from work last night, I decided to try the 4WD out...just to do it. In the center console, it has 2WD, 4WD Part Time, 4WD Full, and 4WD Low. I shifted the lever from part time...ran for a bit...then tried out 4WD Full for a bit.

I pulled up into the driveway and then switched it back to 2WD where I normally run it. To me, it seemed like the lever wouldn't "click" back into the 2WD notch completely and it could easily slip back into 4WD Part Time with a light touch.

Anyway, here is the suprise that I got this morning...

I got in and started to back out of my drive as normal...but as I did it almost felt like a tire was sticking or I had a flat tire. I continued to back out and put it in drive only to get the same feeling. Rememebering what I did lastnight, I shifted through the different 4WD options hoping it would set everything back how it was.

Having no choice, I had to drive it to work ( about a 5 min drive ). It seemed to run itself out of the problems I guess and only seemed to act weird when I was making turns which I did. Once in awhile I think I heard a little tiny pop or click here and there...but nothing damaging I hope.

My best guess is that it wasn't shifted back fully into 2WD or something. Not even sure if the previous owner ever even used it and I was the first to change it up.

Anyone have any clue on what the problem may be? It could be resolved now, but I just don't want to take ANY chances.

Brow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2005, 07:47 AM   #2
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Avoid ever running your Jeep at 4wd part-time at high speeds(on dry pavement) because that causes your driveline to bind and wheel hop. Your front wheels rotate faster then your rear wheels when in 4wd which relies on you being on something sliprey. When on dry pavement the wheels hop (same as you are experiencing around corners) to relieve the stress in the drive line.

4wd-full time is safe to drive on any pavement.

It sounds like you are stuck in 4wd. I suggest shifting into 2wd, accelerate up to 30-35mph, take foot off gas. Give it a little gas (toggle it). If that doesn't work, slow down and put the transmission in netural and see if that pops it into netural.

-RYan
Unread 05-03-2005, 09:48 AM   #3
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

You have a 242 selec-trac transfer-case. (which is good) Sometimes it gets stuck and won't disengage the 4wd.

To get it to disengage put'er in reverse and back up at least 10 yards or so. Make sure the Part-Time light on your dash goes away and push the TC lever all the way forward.

(actually I'm not sure where it is in the ZJ, it could be in the VIC(vehicle information center). In my Dad's XJ it is in the upper left corner of the speedo/tach cluster)

ArloGuthroJeep is absolutely right about when to run and when not to run 4PT and 4FT. If it gets confusing, the 2wd and 4FT icons are green so remember "Green I'm Good) The 4PT and 4Lo should only be used on low traction surfaces like deep snow, sand, mud etc.

Hope This Helps!

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2005, 03:51 PM   #4
Brow

Yes guys, this has helped! Everything seems to be running back to normal now. I could kick myself in the butt for doing that!

My best guess is that it was stuck or I didn't have it shift back all the way. So, next time I witness that same slipping-flat-tire feeling I am in 4WD Part Time.

Thanks again for the help guys...I am beginning to like it here!
Brow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2005, 05:15 PM   #5
Chrisca

You can leave it 4Full time wtih no problems. That is how it iwas designed.

Remember, when going into 4LO, go very slow (2-3mph), shift into neutral, go into 4 lo, then into drive.
Don't try to do it while going faster than this.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.