4WD not working? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4WD not working?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-01-2003, 06:40 PM   #16
rJEEP

So are you saying that by putting it in low, the other 2 wheels shoulda had power? I put it in low and my drivers side wheels were unaffected. Maybe it didnt lock.

With the NV 242 t-case, I can still drive in fulltime 4wd (quadratrac) ? Is there anything involved in the swap besides the tcase?

Unread 01-01-2003, 10:59 PM   #17
MJR

Quote:
Originally posted by rJEEP
So are you saying that by putting it in low, the other 2 wheels shoulda had power? I put it in low and my drivers side wheels were unaffected. Maybe it didnt lock.

With the NV 242 t-case, I can still drive in fulltime 4wd (quadratrac) ? Is there anything involved in the swap besides the tcase?
No. The Quadra Trac t-case (NV 249) uses a viscous coupler that is suppose to transfer power as needed to the front and rear axles. The problem is that it never worked as promised and often would just let one end spin. In the early ones you couldn't lock it in low range so it would just spin one wheel vs one in front and rear with a locked in range t-case.

The Selec Trac (NV 242) uses a open diff in the t-case for full time (high) operation. This allows the front and rear driveshafts to spin at different speed on turns to prevent binding and allowing it's use on the street. It will also allow either the front or rear end to spin in this mode if you loose traction. In part time the diff in the t-case locks making the front and rear driveshafts spin at the same speed so you always have one front wheel and one rear wheel turning.

The lockers will then lock in the front or rear diffs so both sides turn at the same speed giving you all 4 wheels turning when the t-case is locked, the front diff is locked, and the rear diff is locked.

A rear locker will make a big difference (3wd). ARB is proably the best selectable locker for the front although you can get a OX cable locker.
Unread 01-02-2003, 09:14 AM   #18
rJEEP

So I narrowed it down to either swapping the tcase or the arb locker.

Where can i get a NV 242 t-case for a reasonable price?

One more ?, with the NV 242 t-case, why would you drive in 2wd when you can drive in full tim high?
Unread 01-02-2003, 01:33 PM   #19
MJR

Better fuel economy. The 242 depending on what is came out off may need to have the input gear swapped out (spline count and length) with you NV 249 so it will bolt up. You also need to do a few other things. The guys at www.nagca.com could answer it better.

I would just get a rear locker for now.
Unread 01-02-2003, 01:36 PM   #20
rJEEP

Well, I blame the tires that were pretty worn. I just got a new set of scorpion a/t's. Im going to test it in the snow again in a couple of days. I'm hoping for the best.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.