Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

46RH Transmission Fluid / Filter Change

9K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  wmchurch 
#1 ·
Planning on doing this next weekend and wanted to get some parts ordered.

I will be using ATF+4 and I plan on dropping and cleaning the pan, installing a drain plug, replacing the ATF filter, install a new cork / rubber gasket (dry), replacing the pan, and filling with clean fluid. I'd also like to add an external in-line filter.

Some questions:

1. Is it okay to disconnect the cooler lines, and flush the cooler out with new tranny fluid and some high pressured air? Now, just to be clear I'm talking about flushing the cooler only and not the transmission. To do this, I would disconnect both lines, attach a liquid pressure bottle to the inlet and let about 2 qts of tranny fluid flush out the cooler and into a recovery tank. Might be overkill, but it would make me feel better. I have a pressurized brake flush kit I use for flushing my brakes that I've adapted to other uses, works pretty well.

2. Where to get the drain plug, and where's the best spot to mount it? I plan on changing the filter at every fluid change anyway, so this is more for making the next job cleaner, rather than trying to get every drop out, so I imagine mounting it further forward so that it doesn't snag on anything is best here.

3. In-line magnetic filter? This a good idea? I found some made by ATP on RockAuto.com. Thought it might be a good insurance policy, supposed to mount it on the return line from the cooler.

4. Any good filter recommendations? After reading the Engine Oil Filter Study, I was wishing someone had done something similar to transmission filters.

5. Any other tips or tricks I should be aware of? I plan on taking some pictures and stuff in order to make a write-up, especially with adding the additional paranoid filter.

I might as well do the diffs and transfercase during this time as well, so any tips on those would be handy.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.