46RH tranny- fix or replace? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 46RH tranny- fix or replace?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #16
GTB
1995 ZJ 

Kinda a maybe important thing

I just realized something that might have bearing (no pun here).

I used a long length of aquarium air tubing to siphon out about a gallon of ATF. I had worked on getting the engine running right from there. IT WAS NOT driven during this time. I replaced the MAP and plugs, a few other bits of engine work (IAC cleaning, etc). Runs beautifully. While running to temps I tried D1 for kicks. It worked. It worked in 4lo in D1 as well. Still no reverse.
For the first time in a year it moved on it's own in D1. I put her in 4lo/D1 and turned around in a loop to put her on ramps. No problems. I then pulled the trans pan.

After I dropped the pan there was maybe 1qt. ATF left, with the strut in the pan. That's where we are now.

Probably should have mention that earlier. Beers...oops.

It shifted in and out of D1 and apparently with no strut? Got me. The low fluid? I'll see what I can find when the weather clears...THX

GTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #17
GTB
1995 ZJ 

Cool, Foundrydude. Will try it in a few days when the weather clears and warms/dries.
Unread 02-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #18
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

D1 and regular 1st gear are going to be the same thing as far as having 1st gear. What the rear (low/rev band) does in D1 is the band engages for engine braking, the low/rev band is not engaged in 1st gear in "D" position. Engine braking is for when you let off the accel the trans holds 1st gear and the engine will slow the the vehicle down. Normal 1st gear in "D" during decel the trans over-runs (freewheels) so you basically do not feel any engine braking. its like a neutral effect. Engine braking is the same effect you would have with a manual trans by slowing down while leaving the vehicle in gear and no clutch. No engine braking is the same effect as putting the trans in neutral or pressing the clutch down when slowing down.

So the rear band (low/rev) does not play any roll in the engagement of 1st gear, it only applies for the engine braking effect. If you revved out 1st gear in manual low/1st position and let off the accel and the engine went to idle or felt like neutral then then there is a band apply problem, if the engine slows the vehicle down then the band is applied or engaged.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 03:17 AM   #19
GTB
1995 ZJ 

You lost me, jnicewan.
Are you trying to tell me that when I manually shift to D1 the reverse/lo band is not involved? I thought that shifting to 1 (D1) was a manual engage of the rear band, just as shifting to R is. Did I miss something? Thx.
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #20
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

I can't believe you put that trans into gear, again, knowing what you know.

The fact first grabbed instead of slipped after fluid was dropped is not a good thing.

good luck with it
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.