46rh help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 46rh help.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 01-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
FI Car Audio

46rh help.

It has been on the way out for a while now. Changed fluids regularly as well as filter, and Im sure its what helped it get as far as it has (156k miles).

But, if its in 3rd or 4th and I come to a stop, it doesnt kick out of gear back to neutral and will stall out the engine if I dont manually pop it into netural. Next issue (assuming they are separate issues/causes) 1st and 2nd are all but gone. They slip until I finally pick up enough speed to hit 3rd.

35"s, 6" lift, HP30 and 8.8 running 4.56s. I drive it on road to get to where I go offroad... thats about it. Not a daily freeway flier. I will also finally have the incentive to swap in the NV241OR that has been collecting dust for the past 2 years too.

So, I know I need a rebuild, and with 156k on it Id like to beef things up. For those that have done a rebuild, did you use a standard master kit or an upgraded version? Keep with the stock torque convertor, or upgrade? Manual valve body? Just looking for some direction others have taken that worked well.

Thanks..

FI Car Audio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
waarp8nt
1995 ZJ 

From the sounds of it, you've got enough clutch matterial that came apart and plugged up the governer itself. Are you planning on doing the work yourself or having a trans shop do it? Either way make sure you/they clean out the intermediate shaft. The oiling holes are very small and can easily get plugged causing repeat failure if not cleaned properly. Also be sure your TPS and brake switch are good, when they are acting up it can cause the Torque converter to fail because it is being over applied (kicking in and out) too often.

Get an upgraded Torque Converter, I talked with the owner of CIT (Central Illinois Trans) when I first started doing transmissions and he stated the reason factory TCC fail is because of the Torrington bearings. The Torrington bearing was never designed to have the type of pounding an applied TCC can dish out. He installs TCC's with fibre bushings and doesn't have the repeat failures that the remanufactured Chrysler/Jeep products have been known to have.

Standard kit with new OD snap rings. Seen a few of those snap rings break and to me its just not worth the chance.

Valve body is kind of your choice.
waarp8nt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.