46rh fresh rebuild, after 3-5 miles will not go into first gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 46rh fresh rebuild, after 3-5 miles will not go into first gear

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 07-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
skilled1
1998 ZJ 

46rh fresh rebuild, after 3-5 miles will not go into first gear

first a little back ground, i purchased this truck for my brother. i am a master mechanic for mercedes-bens among other manufactures. trans had indescribeable issues when purchased.
truck is a 1993 GC 5.2l quadra-trac with the 46rh

yanked the trans. found torqueconverter failed and bell housing bolts at top were missing which allowed the tc to grind the input shaft of pump under load. replaced TC and pump. rebuilt trans and the borgwarner. only thing i didn't get into was the Valve body. i flushed the cooler and it seems as clear as i can possibly make it.

now here is the issue:

after installing the new trans. test drives have found some disturbing actions. from a cold start trans operates flawlessly. 1-2-3-4 and TC lock up. come to a stop same thing 1-2-3-4-tc LU. after the first 3-5 miles come to a stop and it wont go back down into first gear. startes from stop in 2nd but still shifts beautifuly 2-3-4-TCLU. just no first.

i am well versed in trans operation, and rebuliding i have rebuilt more trans' than i can count unfortunately all my experiance is with Electronic control not hydraulic, im not sure of where i need to go from here.

i am curious if the throttle kickdown cable needs to be adjusted? seemed ok when we installed it but maybe i need to go through the motions just to be sure.also return spring seemed a little weak, issue???

i may have overlooked something simple here and just wanted to submit this problem to the collective and see if anyone else has seen this issue and be able to point me in the right direction. thanks for any help given in advance

-john-

Last edited by skilled1; 07-25-2009 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: forgot to mention vehicle details
skilled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
skilled1
1998 ZJ 

bump up. also just curious if anyone thinks that due to a fresh rebuild if it might be possible that there are still air bubbles in the passageways of the valve body that may work their way out over time? just another possibility i thought of. anyone else have suggestions???????
Unread 07-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
skilled1
1998 ZJ 

still no suggestions?????
Unread 07-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

check the valve body for blockages and the condition of the pressure regulator.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Govenor Valve
Valve body
frt servo piston stuck in the bore
frt band linkage malfuntion , check for binding
throttle or gearshift linkage out of adjustment

Not quoted , but referenced from the FSM
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.