46rh bellhousing variations? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-22-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Ulfrikr
1995 ZJ 

46rh bellhousing variations?

My trans pooched so I bought a used one that is supposed to be a 46rh and as far as I can tell I had a 46rh on my 5.2 v8 but when I got my trans dripped I discovered the bell housings dont match.
The one I pulled from my zj had the starter in the lower left side and the "new" one has it on the right side.
Is this just a variation in the bell housing or is my pooched trans not a 46rh?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-22-2016, 10:45 PM
kachink
1998 ZJ 

95 with a V8 should have a 46RH. The donor may be from a Dodge truck. I think they had the starter on the other side. What would it take to swap bell housings?
post #3 of 12 Old 05-22-2016, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Ulfrikr
1995 ZJ 

I would think pulling it apart similar to a rebuild but using the old bellhousing when putting it back together so not too bad but I dont want to risk the chance of mucking up seals if I dont ha e to.
post #4 of 12 Old 05-23-2016, 05:29 AM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

The 46RH bellhousing and the transmission are cast as an integrated assembly.

The swap would be similar to a rebuild, including setting the clearances per the FSM.

post #5 of 12 Old 05-23-2016, 06:47 AM
jeepjeepster

Ive never seen a 46rh in person but I believe the bell housings are 1 piece with the transmission.

Someone has stated that they were able to install the dodge truck tranny with the starter on the wrong side.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/216,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/65,155 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/90,300 mi
post #6 of 12 Old 05-23-2016, 07:51 AM
Luke4010
1997 ZJ 

Yep, the trans they gave you is from a dodge. It is possible to use the dodge transmission if you re route the starter wires and change exhaust manifolds, similar to what the 5 speed swap guys have done. IMO, not worth it.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-23-2016, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Ulfrikr
1995 ZJ 

the bell housing and the barrel are cast together, yes. Im hoping the barrels are th same and the governor tubes line up with those in the extension housing (the tail that holds the overdrive)

EDIT:
Im going to take the plunge. Just writing up my step list, which ill post before hand (when I check one more timeto see if anyone is leaning on the "terrible idea" button)
post #8 of 12 Old 05-23-2016, 03:53 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Is it really that hard to find a jeep 46rh?

As stated you got a dodge style 46rh by mistake.

I would just sell off the dodge one and get a jeep 46rh, or rebuild the one you have.

1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 33's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ 5.9 - Junked
1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-07-2016, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Ulfrikr
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Is it really that hard to find a jeep 46rh?
yeah, unfortunately on the island here there doesn't seem to be any and for 350 CDN i was game since i'm on a budget tighter than a dolphin's sphincter.

did my research on pulling the trans apart. then stripped the jeep one down...am going to need a master rebuild kit which would cost (after shipping) about the same as the dodge trans (which looks like it was recently rebuilt and may have a shift kit and the larger coolant hole in the intermediary shaft). the old bands were worn way down and the seals were looking pretty shotty, i wasnt surprised judging by the amount of filings in the pan when i dropped it.

Turns out the transfer case was swapped out from a 249 to a 242 at some point, good to know because the indicator plate in the cab still just had the 4H/N/4L...

All in all, the swap was fairly clean and straight forward. you don't need to pull every piece apart, just enough o get the chunks out.

Unfortunately 3 out of 4 bolts that hold the crossmember the trans is mounted to snapped off in the frame while i was trying to loosen/remove them. It seems fairly common place, and rather than trying to extract the busted parts i'm just going to go the riv-nut route and drill out the chunks straight away. Seems easiest with less possibility of breaking a tool...but then again, if i'm feeling aggro when i get up there this weekend i may just try setting the buggers on fire and hose them down with some more sea foam.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-08-2016, 06:03 AM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfrikr View Post
yeah, unfortunately on the island here there doesn't seem to be any
Can you see Sarah Palin from Victoria Island British Columbia? On the plus side it is probably not mission critical to repair a failed air conditioner.

Quote:
i wasnt surprised judging by the amount of filings in the pan when i dropped it.

you don't need to pull every piece apart, just enough o get the chunks out.
The interior of the transmission needs to be clean, clean, clean. The threshold for cleanage is not de-chunked.

For example, the valve body has zero clearance spool valves that will be contaminated during transmission failure. When I rebuilt my 46RH transmission I spent lots of time and effort to ensure my valve body was 100% clean.

The transmission needs to be properly rebuilt, with all the clearances set to the specifications. The FSM or the ATSG manual, or both need to be followed for proper operation.

Quote:
Unfortunately 3 out of 4 bolts that hold the crossmember the trans is mounted to snapped off in the frame while i was trying to loosen/remove them. It seems fairly common place, and rather than trying to extract the busted parts i'm just going to go the riv-nut route and drill out the chunks straight away. Seems easiest with less possibility of breaking a tool...
That really sucks!

Those four bolts are securing lots of mass and resisting lots of forces. Any repair needs to be at-least as strong as the original fasteners. If drilling out and repairing the threads is stronger than a Rivnut then that should be performed. If a Rivnut is used, then the parts need to be set properly, using the appropriate tool, like I did here.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-08-2016, 05:28 PM
paulsheer2
1993 ZJ 

Garage
removing a bolt --

youtube.com/watch?v=3tjhs-0kFl8

method 4 seems like what you need -- weld on a nut, then turn it.

try avoid a future where you hit a bump on the highway and your transmission drops onto the road

if you have TWO transmissions this is very good news ---

normally when you overhaul the transmission you end up trying to source "used-but-in-good-condition" parts to replace failed parts

but if you have two, then that solves a lot of the part-sourcing problem

if you have the trans out you should do a proper overhaul -- it's the only thing that makes sense

buy the overhaul kit and replace every seal in it, following the overhaul guide. browse cascadetransmissionparts.com and transpartsonline.com

the bushings are the most difficult part

see here for 46RH stator bushing --

https://web.archive.org/web/20160608...hing-clearance

and here for some general overhaul stuff and tools --

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/4...-jeep-3457562/

be very carefully about swapping valve bodies -- they have subtle differences between them

93 ZJ 5.2, 3.58 stroked. 242 swap. 2.5" lift. dozens of mods.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-08-2016, 05:30 PM
paulsheer2
1993 ZJ 

Garage
BTW certain gaskets are mandatory-replace if you disassemble

so you need a gasket kit no matter what you do

93 ZJ 5.2, 3.58 stroked. 242 swap. 2.5" lift. dozens of mods.

Tags
46rh , tranny , trans , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.