Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

46rh bellhousing variations?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  paulsheer2 
#1 ·
My trans pooched so I bought a used one that is supposed to be a 46rh and as far as I can tell I had a 46rh on my 5.2 v8 but when I got my trans dripped I discovered the bell housings dont match.
The one I pulled from my zj had the starter in the lower left side and the "new" one has it on the right side.
Is this just a variation in the bell housing or is my pooched trans not a 46rh?

#5 ·
Ive never seen a 46rh in person but I believe the bell housings are 1 piece with the transmission.

Someone has stated that they were able to install the dodge truck tranny with the starter on the wrong side.

#7 ·
the bell housing and the barrel are cast together, yes. Im hoping the barrels are th same and the governor tubes line up with those in the extension housing (the tail that holds the overdrive)

EDIT:
Im going to take the plunge. Just writing up my step list, which ill post before hand (when I check one more timeto see if anyone is leaning on the "terrible idea" button)

#8 ·
Is it really that hard to find a jeep 46rh?

As stated you got a dodge style 46rh by mistake.

I would just sell off the dodge one and get a jeep 46rh, or rebuild the one you have.

#9 ·
Is it really that hard to find a jeep 46rh?
yeah, unfortunately on the island here there doesn't seem to be any and for 350 CDN i was game since i'm on a budget tighter than a dolphin's sphincter.

did my research on pulling the trans apart. then stripped the jeep one down...am going to need a master rebuild kit which would cost (after shipping) about the same as the dodge trans (which looks like it was recently rebuilt and may have a shift kit and the larger coolant hole in the intermediary shaft). the old bands were worn way down and the seals were looking pretty shotty, i wasnt surprised judging by the amount of filings in the pan when i dropped it.

Turns out the transfer case was swapped out from a 249 to a 242 at some point, good to know because the indicator plate in the cab still just had the 4H/N/4L...

All in all, the swap was fairly clean and straight forward. you don't need to pull every piece apart, just enough o get the chunks out.

Unfortunately 3 out of 4 bolts that hold the crossmember the trans is mounted to snapped off in the frame while i was trying to loosen/remove them. It seems fairly common place, and rather than trying to extract the busted parts i'm just going to go the riv-nut route and drill out the chunks straight away. Seems easiest with less possibility of breaking a tool...but then again, if i'm feeling aggro when i get up there this weekend i may just try setting the buggers on fire and hose them down with some more sea foam.

#11 ·
removing a bolt --

youtube.com/watch?v=3tjhs-0kFl8

method 4 seems like what you need -- weld on a nut, then turn it.

try avoid a future where you hit a bump on the highway and your transmission drops onto the road

if you have TWO transmissions this is very good news ---

normally when you overhaul the transmission you end up trying to source "used-but-in-good-condition" parts to replace failed parts

but if you have two, then that solves a lot of the part-sourcing problem

if you have the trans out you should do a proper overhaul -- it's the only thing that makes sense

buy the overhaul kit and replace every seal in it, following the overhaul guide. browse cascadetransmissionparts.com and transpartsonline.com

the bushings are the most difficult part

see here for 46RH stator bushing --

https://web.archive.org/web/2016060....php?12746-46RH-46RE-stator-bushing-clearance

and here for some general overhaul stuff and tools --

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/42re-rebuild-direct-drum-bushing-tips-dodge-jeep-3457562/

be very carefully about swapping valve bodies -- they have subtle differences between them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.