46re Tutorial - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 46re Tutorial

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #106
jlipka98zj
1998 ZJ 

Baxy, need your help man! Rather than clogging up your thread, thought I would start my own: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/4...eeded-1420964/

Unread 10-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #107
jlipka98zj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxy View Post

high wear area this retianer can be replaced with a higher quality one made by SONNAX
Just finished my rebuild. Something to add to this. My retainer was fried in the area he spoke of. Be warned, if your retainer is hosed like mine, you probably need a new low/reverse drum, too. The inner diameter of said drum rides on the surface of this retainer.
img_0261.jpg  
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #108
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

Fantastic thread!
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #109
maverick971

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to state that after reading this I tackled my own 46RE and am pretty happy with the results. (I should have replaced the governor I think it is causing the minor issue I'm having.) I have never attempted a transmission before and I was actually surprised how easy they are. Thank you thank you thank you.
maverick971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #110
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick971 View Post
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to state that after reading this I tackled my own 46RE and am pretty happy with the results.
How did you deal with that giant forward clutch apply spring? Did you improvise a special tool?
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #111
maverick971

Are you referring to the one in the OD section. If so I have a friend that owns a transmission shop so I had him do the OD section. I did the 3 speed.
maverick971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #112
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

Great write up but I need help on what parts to buy, I have a thread started and If anyone could chime in and throw in some advice I would really really REALLY appreciate it! I am getting my 42re rebuilt but need to buy the parts and need to get the right rebuild kit that has EVERYTHING and where to buy/upgrade the insides etc....

Baxy can you please PM me. Or anyone else that is transmission savy or post in my thread please.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/4...dvice-1842002/
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #113
oldguywtruck

wanted to update and add some input ,so far i have 23,000 miles on my 46re repairs and she still works ,.....since i put it back in>
....i added a trans cooler plumbed parellel to origanal ,i'm a scarap hauler and haul weight everyday over mountans ,in the summer it really helps with controlling temps ,but in the winter i have to cover it to keep temps up during non hauling normal driving
....i had a torque converter hum and a slight leak at the hub ,i checked and repositioned the aftermarket converter a little closer with some washers ,resoved issues
....a brought the borg warner heavyduty control valve soliniod and a new temp sencor thingy ,forgot the official name ,the one that controls oil flow....it was sightly sticking in second gear when i stopped ,better valve resolved issue
......hope the input helps any future novices and thank jeep furum and baxy for the valueble and informative article
oldguywtruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #114
rdunk19

How many total check ball in valve body

So I curious how many check balls their are in a 46RE valve body I have read 6 of 1/4 plastic, 1 of 11/32 plastic and 1 like 1/8 or 1/16 metal. So I am trying to make sure I have them all after a spill
rdunk19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #115
rdunk19

How many check balls

I am not sure also where exactly the metal one goes within the valve body plates
rdunk19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #116
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunk19 View Post
So I curious how many check balls their are in a 46RE valve body I have read 6 of 1/4 plastic, 1 of 11/32 plastic and 1 like 1/8 or 1/16 metal. So I am trying to make sure I have them all after a spill
There are checkball pics and info. in this thread.

See post #23 Pics 6,7,8,and 10.

See post #25 Pic 9.

See post #27 Pics 9 and 13.
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #117
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

Quote:

picture of shim for setting the lube for the OD unit if you change shafts make sure you transfer over this shim it makes sure the lube holes in the shaft are aligned properly in the OD unit **VERY IMPORTANT ***
What if you're swapping in another OD unit, but keeping your same main case and intermediate shaft? Will it be ok to just re-use the existing spacer or does it need to be measured for the new case?

There are a few tips out there for determining the OD piston spacer selection without all the special tools, but I haven't seen any for the Intermediate shaft spacer.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2014, 01:10 AM   #118
Filin

Quote:

starting with the inner diamete work the lip gently until it is started
On automatic 46rh not work 4 speed, I heard there is an overdrive unit in the oil seal, which may be the reason

Please show this oil seal on the photo
and his number
Filin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.