46re Tutorial - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 46re Tutorial

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-05-2010, 04:30 AM   #76
proeliumfessus
1996 ZJ 

A big thank you, for the 46rh and the 242 writeups... especially the 46rh... I was gonna attempt it with the fsm, but after reading through your writeup, I realize there was a lot more to know- really, thanks. I know you probably get hammered with constant questions from the writeups, so if your answer is "no thanks" I completely understand, but I wanted to know if you'd mind critiquing my "beginner diagnosis" of my tranny problem?

(tried pm'ing but it said the mailbox was full)

Unread 06-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #77
gimmesomerocks

Baxy, your pm box is full! I have a question about the valve body...
gimmesomerocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #78
baxy

I cleaned it out
baxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #79
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

Baxy, can I follow the same steps in here mostly on the 42re? I know I'll have to get the 42re kit, but how do I know if I can get an extra friction in and if I can use the Torrington bearings instead? I am assuming the major wear points are about the same from the 42 to the 46. I see the ebay kits being about 125 to 150, but it don't say weather they are heavy duty or light duty (gas or diesel not that it may matter on a 42re as they are pretty much light duty).

Do you see yourself doing a writeup with this same type of detail or just listing out what I need to check differently for the 42re? I found the valvle body kit, but I want to go ahead and refresh this thing with new frinctions/seals/and tolerances so it will be better than the one I currently have in it. The Jeep already has 285's on it with 3.55's (which is hard on the transmission anyway), plus I do end up towing with it some and do some steep trails. I have heard of people swapping out a few of the internals for 44re internals, but I don't know if it would help that much.

Truthfully the 42re has been a great little transmission, and I bet it would last even longer with the valve body upgrades!

Any quick question, would the 42re valve body fit the 46re, this way hopefully the computer on the WJ would control the tranny the same, but have the stouter transmission or are they too different for this to work?

Thanks for this write up as it made me see how much work and space I will need to successfully rebuild a transmission.
jclaudii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #80
4404ever

46 RH/RE transmissions

Hi Baxy.
What a wonderful pictorial you have posted regarding the 46 RH/RE transmissions...
You should be instructing students at a tech school.
You are very kind to share your knowledge and experience on this subject.

I'm a little mechanically inclined and with your super photos of this rebuild
and some of the specialty tools required I'm now confident that I could achieve favourable results.

I found it virtually impossible to find those numbers on the Dodge 4x4 transmissions although there is a bunch of numbers on the edge directly above where the pan mates to the case.

As I understand it there is only really one transmission that goes in the 1995 to 2001 5.2 and 5.9 Dodge trucks and that is the 46RH/RE.
Do these letters mean that a transmission is strictly hydraulic or electronic or are they a combination of both.

Probably a dumb question here but would two wheel drive trucks of that model and year be interchangable by changing the back end where the transfer case goes on..?

I know you are basically swamped with questions because this particular model of transmission is known for not being too reliable.
I read in your re-build that there are some little modifications that can be done to make the 46 RH/RE a better unit.
Are these pieces available in a master re-build kit.
Any recommendations as to the best kit for your money?
If you have time to answer my questions I would really appreciate it.
Thank you so very much for all your time and effort that you put into providing that pictorial.
To me it is the best of the best....
Best Regards, Dave
4404ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #81
baxy

Not all trucks came with 46RE/RH some 2wd came with 44RE/RH
You cannot install a 2wd in place of a 4wd
None of the OH kits come with any mods they are all bought separately

I like all the SUPERIOR brand upgrade parts, most of the SONNAX stuff is great to
Unread 02-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #82
4404ever

Hi Baxy,
Thank you for your well appreciated advice.
I'm curious about adding the fifth disc and steel in your pictorial..on the 46 RH/RE
Is there any machining required to add the fifth disc and steel to the clutch pack..?
Do the quality kits provide these parts... or do they need to be ordered seperate..?
Does SONNAX provide shift kits as well..?

Thank you once again. Dave
Unread 02-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #83
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxy View Post
Not all trucks came with 46RE/RH some 2wd came with 44RE/RH
You cannot install a 2wd in place of a 4wd
None of the OH kits come with any mods they are all bought separately

I like all the SUPERIOR brand upgrade parts, most of the SONNAX stuff is great to

Baxy do you have any idea what would cause a thud/shudder during the 3rd-OD shift ? Basicly my 46re in my 5.9 has 130k on it and its been doing this since i bought it with 118k on it. It hasnt gotten worse but it has gotten better at times. The shudder or thud or whatever it is can be felt throughout the vehicle and in the steering wheel, and it shakes my rear hatch.

It only happens for a split second as well, during the 3RD-OD upshift, and also during the OD-3RD downshift if i have my foot on the gas pedal. If i release my foot from the gas it will shift without a shudder/thud, and when im slowing to a stop like a stop light i dont feal anything either.

The Torque convertor locks in OD without any issue, and locks in 3RD if i have the OD button on without any issue, the TC unlocks without an issue if i push the brake pedal while on the gas and locks back up without any problem either.. So i dont think this is a torque convertor issue.. As i said it only happens during the split second of the 3rd-OD up or downshift while on the gas pedal.

In the morning or when the vehicle has been sitting it will shift smoothly until it warms up a little usually it only shifts to OD twice before it starts to do it again.. There have been days where it magicly works perfectly without any problem but then comes back when i park the Jeep and turn it back on later in the day.. Then there was a time about a month ago where it ran for 3 week straight without any issue and then it came back.

I have changed the fluid and the filter last year, and there were some metal particles on the bottom of the pan and the magnet had some goop on it but other then that there were no big chunks of anything. I have tried adjusting the TV cable back and forth and that doesnt help either. I have been trying to figure this out for over a year now and no one seems to have ever heared of an issue like this... and the dealership or transmission shops want like $700 to just take it apart... I said f-it and ill keep driving it because it doesnt slip, never has. but i would like some kind of theory
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #84
baxy

That is something that is pretty tough to guess at without actually driving it
Possibly a fried OD / DIRECT clutch if you have to rely on the sprag to hold you can get a
Bump
But this is a guess
Unread 02-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #85
baxy

Possibly a fried OD / DIRECT clutch if you have to rely on the sprag to hold you can get a
Bump
But this is a guess
Unread 02-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #86
baxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4404ever View Post
Hi Baxy,
Thank you for your well appreciated advice.
I'm curious about adding the fifth disc and steel in your pictorial..on the 46 RH/RE
Is there any machining required to add the fifth disc and steel to the clutch pack..?
Do the quality kits provide these parts... or do they need to be ordered seperate..?
Does SONNAX provide shift kits as well..?

Thank you once again. Dave
To install the extra OD clutch just toss the top thick plate and install an extra steel,fiber,steel
Sonnax make what they call a sure cure kit , it is a kit with all their upgrades
Unread 02-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #87
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxy View Post
Bump
But this is a guess

Well thats what a transmission mechanic at the Jeep dealership was saying without driving it its hard to tell, but he said a clutch could be fried.. But if that were the case why is it still shifting into the gear and not slipping ? But he also mentioned something about the OD piston could be worn out.

What do you think I should do ?
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #88
4404ever

Thanks again baxy...
Dave
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #89
4404ever

Hi Baxy,

Re: 46 RH/RE Dodge 4x4 automatic
Is the SURE CURE KIT part of the master re-build kit or an additional kit with all the updates ?
Thank you, Dave
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #90
4404ever

Hi Baxy,

Got another automatic transmission question for you.
Hope you can shed some light on the possible causes of this problem....

Got this 4x4 Dodge Truck..
The 360 magnum engine was totally re-build by a local shop.
Put it back into the truck and bolted it up.
Front Transmission seal was replaced with a new one.
A few hundred miles later it started to leak at the front seal.
Added Lucus transmission treatment.
It eventually stopped leaking and seemed alright.

Then it began to leak again..
Got it home and pulled the tranny & replaced the front seal for the second time.
A couple hundred miles later it puked the fluid out again.

I searched long and hard for a couple of months until I found a good replacement 46 re/rh.
I replaced the front and rear seals along with a new filter and pan gasket.
I used the torque converter that came out of the same truck that the replacement R46 came out of.
Installed the replacement unit.
It worked perfect & shifted smooth like it should.
Then the front seal in it let go in it.

Two perfectly good 46 re /rh transmissions met the exact same fate in this truck.
What could cause this much grief with the front seal?

Could it be something with the crank or flex plate....balance....Truck is a 1995...
Is there pressure building up somehow that would cause this?

Thank you.....Dave

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.