46RE shift linkage adjustment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 46RE shift linkage adjustment

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 10-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

46RE shift linkage adjustment

OK guys. I have been scouring the factory manual, reading through forum posts, but cannot find what I am looking for. I have read that the issue I am having means the shift linkage needs to be adjusted. How exactly do I do that? I am hoping that I don't have to drop the pan again. Thanks again for all your help. You guys ROCK!!!

Oh, I guess you will probably want to hear the symptoms, too. When I have the transmission in park, it can slide back enough to sometimes slip down into reverse. I think other shifter positions are having similar issues. Also, I cannot start it in part, only neutral, and only if I push the shifter forward while turning the key. Seems to me like the linkage position is off just a little...but as you know, I don't know.

LordBhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
FastSUV
1998 ZJ 

linkage easy to adjust, but there was a TSB on the issue you are having and the dealership should fix it for free...have them run your VIN number and see if the TSB applies and is not done yet?
WJ - 4.7 H.O. Freedom
FastSUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

Not yet. I'll check that, though, thanks!

I just found a copy of the shop manual for the transmission and finally found a description of the process, but it looks like it is Dodge specific; the machanical components look different. I'm gonna print it off and take side by side look.
Unread 10-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

No recalls unperformed on my machine. Stuck with adjusting it myself.
Unread 10-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
FastSUV
1998 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/s...ystem-1112382/
WJ - 4.7 H.O. Freedom
FastSUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

Nope that doesn't sound like it. Anyone else able to give me instruction, or a picture of where the adjustment point is? I'm not sure if I have to drop the pan again or not. The tranny manual shows an adjustment on the cable itself, just a short way up the line from the transmission, but I couldn't see it. I'll probably check it again tomorrow. Would like to fix it tomorrow before I do re realignment.
Unread 10-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

OK. Found the adjustment, followed the instructions in the FSM and FTM, and the truck now starts from "P" and "N" like it is supposed to, and park actually is park, not reverse. But I am still having issues with drive. It still acts like it is in neutral. If I put it into "2" then slide up to "D", it seems to be OK.

My current thought is this: either the adjustment is slightly off, so drive is just past the detent in the cab, or there is something else wrong that I haven't found yet.

So far I have changed the governer pressure sensor and solenoid, changed the fluid, replaced the filter, checked the TV cable (no adjustment needed), and adjusted the shifter cable/linkage. Someone at one point suggested checking something with the parking gear while I was inside the transmission, but by that time I already had it put back together.

Any other thoughts on what I should check next? I need to do the alignment either later today or tomorrow before I can take it out and test drive it to see if it eventually pops into gear if I leave it alone. I tried testing it from where I have it parked and it didn't seem to want to, but I would like to test it on a short trip before I declare that conclusive. If it does not pop into gear, I think I am leaning toward a misadjustment on the cable. If I understand it correctly, I can remove the spring for the button in the cab and eliminate the in-cab detent mechanism, then I would be relying solely on the detent in the transmission. If that works correctly, then I know the cable is as maladjusted as I am. Other thoughts???
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
Dustmuffins
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBhael View Post
OK. Found the adjustment, followed the instructions in the FSM and FTM, and the truck now starts from "P" and "N" like it is supposed to, and park actually is park, not reverse.
How do you do it? I just swapped trannys and mine's a bit off. Getting pretty annoyed and I'm close to just grabbing the damn bracket with some vice grips and bending the mofo.
Dustmuffins is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.