46re Delayed Shifting in all gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 46re Delayed Shifting in all gears

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
fastgc9859
1998 ZJ 

46re Delayed Shifting in all gears

I just bought a 1998 5.9 last week. Runs great, sounds mean. I am having some major problems with the trans.

Background: I know the guy I bought it from and he lost reverse gear last winter pulling people out when we had a blizzard, but still had all of his forward gears. He took the pan off and adjusted the bands, he got his reverse back and the forward gears still worked.

Right now I start it up and put in reverse...and wait...and then thunk, it goes into gear. And it does the same thing in forward, basically feels and sounds like im neutral dropping the transmission. I think I might even have whip lash from it falling in gear.

The weird thing is it kind of goes in and out, one second its going pretty smooth, and the next it acts up. I've checked the fluid and level and we're look'n perfect there. I'm getting embarrassed driving this thing bc I look like a jackwagon dropping this in gear everytime I come to a stop.

I've read up on adjusting the bands...a little but not much. I also wanted to know if anyone has a write up on the cable that runs to the TB...mine has slack and I was wondering if thats my problem.

fastgc9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

The cable you mean the throttle valve cable right ? That an easy one to do.. Take the white clip off on it. It opens by splitting it on the top and bottom (dont break it) then the black knob on the lever pulls foward to pop out (dont pull it out or youll break it... it pushes foward towards the front of the engine). Then grab the black part of the cable in the back while holding the black knob and push it foward or pull it back until the center line on the black knob lines with the knob on the throttle lever.

Here are a couple pics of what it should be aligned too see the arrow pointing to the line on the black thing ? That line needs to be lined up with the other arrow. Dont pull the cable to align it, you have to grab the cable in the back that is sheethed after you take the white clip off to adjust it right. However if yours has slack that really only means your Jeep wont shift into the next gear.. too much slack and it will hold gears too long, to little slack and it will shift to fast

Here is a link on how to adjust it..
http://www.bionicdodge.com/Download/...Adjustment.pdf

As for the transmission having a delayed engagement into reverse or drive... thats isnt good, based on what i know that means the torque converter could be going bad.
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
fastgc9859
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the info and pics. I adjusted the cable and had quick shifts and delayed shifts just like ive been reading. The Jeep is still nuetral dropping like crazy/ taking a few seconds to grab and go in gear.

Could this be anything else that I can replace without having to take my trans out and rebuild?...speed sensor, solenoids, bands, etc

Once it gets going its fine, its the initial start from a stop that it keeps showing the symtoms.
fastgc9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Just make sure you mark a line on the cable so you can clearly see where it was and you have a reference point for measuring. It may take some tweaking and a few tries.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.