46re to 44re - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 46re to 44re

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 12-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

46re to 44re

Hey all. I'm venturing over from the tj forum to ask about the 44re reliability factor. I have a stock 5.9 with a 46re out of a 98 ram in my tj and have several things I am not happy about that are unavoidable with that particular transmission. Things like drivers side mounted starter arent playing well with my front drive shaft and the clocking of the t case is also not so tummy tuck friendly. I'm also liking the fact the 44re is shorter and allows for a longer rear drive shaft. Not to mention the 50# weight savings and less parasitic power loss. I know just bolting in a 46re out of a zj would be the stronger route and have no delusions that the 44re is as strong a transmission, but will it be enough in a vehicle significantly lighter then the one for which it was designed even with the added tq.

Thanks in advance.

rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

a 44re can be built to handle the 5.9 with no problems. You'll probably want to rebuild a jy one anyway.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have no problems with rebuilding one. The jy 44re from a you pull yard is about $ 100.00 . Any yard that has a zj 46re wants six times that in my area. I have seen some rebuild kits with additional clutches and performance valve body upgrade kits, but not much in the form of hard parts.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.