46re ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 46re ?

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 05-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

46re ?

I bought a niner and was told it needed a new trans. The fluid was burnt and low. It also made a strange noise. My father in law added some additive and the noise went away. He said it went good.
The next day I replaced the fluid and filter. Now it seems to not want to shift and sometimes you have to pop in in N then back to D for it to shift.
Is this a bad trans or could it be a bad PCM or TPS?

BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I let ratmonkey or someone else correct me, but could be linkage.
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Did you replace the additive that you drained out?
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude
Did you replace the additive that you drained out?
I tried some but didn't do much. He wouldn't say what he actually did to it just said it was "an old Indian trick". He's not even Indian..? :brick wall:
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzZJ9er View Post
I tried some but didn't do much. He wouldn't say what he actually did to it just said it was "an old Indian trick". He's not even Indian..? :brick wall:
Yea, thats a bad sign.
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj

Yea, thats a bad sign.
Ya. I know he beat on it when he took it out so idk if he f****** it up and just ain't admitting it. it sucks seeing it just sit!!
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

They don't have aux transmission coolers and they often overheat without them. This was a big mistake for 98 ZJ's.
You could try to find the gov pressure sensor and solenoid out of a JY ZJ and see if replacing those works but if you are not having a check engine light then it may not be the issue.
As a last resort I would try a couple bottles of some additive like maybe Lubeguard Red. Other than that you will probably need a re build but that will give the the chance to put a shift kit in and make it better.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
They don't have aux transmission coolers and they often overheat without them. This was a big mistake for 98 ZJ's.
You could try to find the gov pressure sensor and solenoid out of a JY ZJ and see if replacing those works but if you are not having a check engine light then it may not be the issue.
As a last resort I would try a couple bottles of some additive like maybe Lubeguard Red. Other than that you will probably need a re build but that will give the the chance to put a shift kit in and make it better.
A friend, who re builds his own ford trans, is supposed to help me re build it. If I didn't have to I wasn't going to though. What's a shift kit do for it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.