46re ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 46re ?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

46re ?

I bought a niner and was told it needed a new trans. The fluid was burnt and low. It also made a strange noise. My father in law added some additive and the noise went away. He said it went good.
The next day I replaced the fluid and filter. Now it seems to not want to shift and sometimes you have to pop in in N then back to D for it to shift.
Is this a bad trans or could it be a bad PCM or TPS?

BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I let ratmonkey or someone else correct me, but could be linkage.
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Did you replace the additive that you drained out?
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude
Did you replace the additive that you drained out?
I tried some but didn't do much. He wouldn't say what he actually did to it just said it was "an old Indian trick". He's not even Indian..? :brick wall:
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzZJ9er View Post
I tried some but didn't do much. He wouldn't say what he actually did to it just said it was "an old Indian trick". He's not even Indian..? :brick wall:
Yea, thats a bad sign.
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj

Yea, thats a bad sign.
Ya. I know he beat on it when he took it out so idk if he f****** it up and just ain't admitting it. it sucks seeing it just sit!!
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

They don't have aux transmission coolers and they often overheat without them. This was a big mistake for 98 ZJ's.
You could try to find the gov pressure sensor and solenoid out of a JY ZJ and see if replacing those works but if you are not having a check engine light then it may not be the issue.
As a last resort I would try a couple bottles of some additive like maybe Lubeguard Red. Other than that you will probably need a re build but that will give the the chance to put a shift kit in and make it better.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
They don't have aux transmission coolers and they often overheat without them. This was a big mistake for 98 ZJ's.
You could try to find the gov pressure sensor and solenoid out of a JY ZJ and see if replacing those works but if you are not having a check engine light then it may not be the issue.
As a last resort I would try a couple bottles of some additive like maybe Lubeguard Red. Other than that you will probably need a re build but that will give the the chance to put a shift kit in and make it better.
A friend, who re builds his own ford trans, is supposed to help me re build it. If I didn't have to I wasn't going to though. What's a shift kit do for it?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.