46re - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 46re

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
bob_351c
2002 TJ Wrangler 

46re

Well im starting to wish i had never bought my zj. Bought my 5.9 zj with a blown rear diff and transmission, replaced both and drove well for about a year now. For the last two weeks i have been prepping it to sell, repairing all the little things and cleaning it up. Anyway for the last week when i go to leave in the morning i throw it in reverse and its all good, back up a few feet and shift in to drive... nothing no movement for about 1-2 seconds. After those few seconds it grabs and takes off driving and shifting fine all the way to work. Work 8 hours and go to leave, no need to reverse where i park, straight into drive, takes off great. I talked to a transmission shop and he said it could be a bad torque converter drain back valve and to put it neutral before leaving to fill it up. But it seems to be fine in reverse and wouldnt that time in reverse be enough to refill the tc? Another thing i noticed is that the colder it is the worse the problem is this morning was -7c and when i put it in reverse i did that slip and then i put it neutral for a couple seconds before drive and i got a slip. I then drove it maybe 50 feet and shifted between reverse and drive a few times and it was fine. I dont feel comfortable selling it the way it is but i need it gone. any help?

bob_351c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

First I would check and see if the fluid is full by warming it up and checking the level in neutral. Maybe the check valve in the feed line going to the radiator is blocked? It's were the rubber hose connects to the bottom hard line coming from the trans. If it's still there it's a good idea to remove it anyways because if it does clog up it will fry the transmission. It just unscrews from the hard line.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
bob_351c
2002 TJ Wrangler 

would it being blocked cause the symptoms i described?
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_351c View Post
would it being blocked cause the symptoms i described?
Not sure Ratmonkey or another more experienced person would have better advice but at least it's something check.. Read through this. There are a lot of threads like this if you search with Google. http://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-...e-failure.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=sign...ient=firefox-a
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
bob_351c
2002 TJ Wrangler 

yup, read that already. have been reading stuff on google all morning. I have a spare tc that came with the tranny that looks brand new... still have no idea why i didnt put it in in the first place. its just so much work to swap out the tc on a whim but i might end up doing it
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
bob_351c
2002 TJ Wrangler 

update to my problem. I did a fluid and filter change and band adjustment. Didnt help what so ever. I was playing around with it a bit trying to replicate the problem with it warmed up. I found that if i very slowly pulled the shifter into drive until it hit the stop the tranny wasnt actually shifting into drive. It would sit there in neutral, if i gave it a rev or let it sit few a second it would bump into drive and take off. Im guessing in the mornings when it was cold the cable or linkage would stick ever so slightly and not let it fully go into gear. I adjusted the shifter linkage and that seems to have fixed the problem. Its been close to a month and it has been great. hope this helps somebody out

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.