44RE interchange? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 44RE interchange?

Disc Brake Kits from ECGSECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

44RE interchange?

Ok, I've read through everything I can find and called several places looking for a transmission for my 96 with a 5.2L.

According to the FAQ's: it supposedly came with a 44RE which is used on all 96-98's with a 5.2L yet everyone is telling me that it is a one year only deal.

I realize that the torque converter (on the 4.0L) is a one year only, but is this true for the 5.2L as well?

I need a new converter anyway and if I have to change the flex plate to accommodate a different converter than so be it.

What is the scoop on 96-98 44RE interchange?

Unread 10-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

the 44RE is available and found in the 96-98zjs. i know, i have one in my 98zj. you are right, they are wrong.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

So, are all 5.2L converters the same?

I'm guessing mine is toast and not willing to chance it while I have it all apart. All I know is the PO said the transmission is shot and that the converter is locked up.

I just took a peak under mine and it looks like a MOFO to change it.

Is there a trick to getting the coolant lines off without breaking them?

Also, I can get a tranny cheap from the U Pull It but with the silica they put in the engine to seize it, I cannot imagine being able to get the converter off without being able to turn the crank.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.