42RE Valve Body Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 42RE Valve Body Question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

42RE Valve Body Question

I am doing some major re-work of my 42RE that is in my 95 ZJ. I replaced the pump, filter, torque converter and found the front band adjustment screw was not seated correctly. I ended up taking the valve assembly off to fix that issue and noticed even before that when I move the shift select arm the transmission would not go into park. In further inspection I thought it may be the park lock, but when I had the valve assembly off, it was the plunger the shift lever moved that would not go all the way in. Is that normal? Would there be something I would of done by mistake that could of caused that? I would think I should be able to move it in all gears, including park, or does it need to be running or in a certain position to go into park? (I had it vertical when I was working on it) I already put the valve body back in, but since its off the jeep still, should I remove it again and would anyone know what to look for? I have the service manual, but I would not like to have to take the whole thing apart. Thanks!! - Jeremy

kb9mfd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
KJK
1998 ZJ 

I assume you are talking about the rod for the parking pawl. The rod goes into a disc that has slots in it radiating from the center. If the disc's slot isn't quite aligned with the rod then it won't engage all the way. That's why when you put a vehicle in "park", it might roll just a bit before catching. Moving the rear wheels a bit will allow the rod to engage the disc fully.
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

That is what I would of thought, and since I have the transmission out of the jeep I have no way to "rock" the wheels. But I have the valve body out of the transmission and I cannot move the "plunger" (that is what the service manual calls it) all the way in where it would be in park. The parking prowl moves just fine. Thanks! - Jeremy
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

I believe I figured it out and I will need to take it apart again. The manual shift arm is not correctly positioned on the plunger. After looking at a couple of pics of other transmissions and the drawing in the manual, the arm needs to go between the two disks and I have it on the outside. The little steel ball for the shift pattern was hard enough to put in I missed the detail about the plunger. Joy, I will have to do that all over again. While I am at it, I noticed the accumulator seals did not seem seal well so I will replace that since I have it apart. - Jeremy
Unread 07-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Ah,you're talking about the manual valve and how the "rooster comb" interacts with it in order to move the valve in and out.

Tags
transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.