42RE tranny questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 42RE tranny questions

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #16
Tooms1121
2012 WK 

just my 2 cents...these transmissions are like grenades, you just wait for them to blow up. had mine rebuilt @ 130k and now i religiously change the fluid every 30k. when they start to hiccup its usually a long slippery slope, time to save up for a rebuild.

Tooms1121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #17
76Pacer

Which trans fits an AMC 4.0L/4.2L? A500? 42RH? 46RH?

Hi All: I am going crazy with this title's question. I need to find a non electronic 4 spd OD trans which will bolt to my 4.2L 6 cyl AMC engine. The CHRYSLER {not AMC} transmission class of A500/42RH and perhaps the 46RH has different bellhousing {starter is on the wrong side for AMC}, hence I must find one that was used only in Jeep. However, I can't find out which Jeeps used the A500/42RH. I don't want a 42RE. I'm beginning to think that A500/42RH were NOT used in Jeep and only the Aisan AW4 and 42RE were. But I noticed that there was a 46RH was used in some Jeeps. Questions: 1. WAS the A500/42RH ever used in any Jeep? 2. If not, then was the 46RH used in Jeep? 3. If so, is the 46RH similar to the 42RH and I can then manually operate the OD and 4th gear with toggle switches? 4. Would the 46RH fit my AMC 4.2L six? Please help. I got to get this project going and done so I can do the Woodward Dream Cruz this year. THANKS! This stuff takes lots of time {and $$$}.
76Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #18
shaban
1996 ZJ 

There was no 42RH, XJ's had either AW4 or 30RH (3-speed). ZJ's used either AW4 or 42RE. 46RH was only used on pre-96 v-8 motors, and it's got a different bellhousing pattern to AMC 4.0

So:
1. No 42RH wasnt used on any jeeps as far as I know; 30RH could be your choce but I'd rather go with AX15 manual.
2. It was used on pre-96 ZJ's with 5.2 v8 engines, different bellhousing bolt pattern
3. Yes it's similar, you just need to control the 4th gear and TCC via 2 solenoids.
4. No unless you can fab an adaptor plate
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #19
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Hughes performance(i think) sells removable bellhousings that will bolt to your engine and bolt to your particular tranny.google them and see if im correct
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #20
jeepyard
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenphis View Post
Anybody? Or is this just me being a dumb@$$?
I had my transmission built on my 98 4.0 with the 42RE and the guy that built it said to remove the factory check valve in the transmission cooler line. He said he would not warranty the tranny if I did not do this. I pulled it and put it back in myself and this check valve is made as a rubber hose assembley at the front of the engine close to the oil pan. He said if the check valve stick it will starve the transmission of fluid and it will die!! I did have a problem last year with it jumping in and out of overdrive at highway speeds that wound up being a bad TPS (throttle position sensor) that had a glitch in it and was tricking the tranny into thinking it was at WOT instead of just a steady cruising speed. Replaced the TPS and it fixed it and that was back in late 2012. Just some suggestions!!
jeepyard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #21
jeepyard
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97JGC2WD_AA View Post
I am not sure what I did incorrectly to elicit the above response but I am new to this forum and am not sure
of all the proper procedures. I did read somewhere about searching first for answers and not starting repetitive
threads. That's the reason I tagged onto this one. If I have used the wrong protocol perhaps someone could send a private message to help me understand the correct procedure to follow to ask a question.

I am sincerely looking for an answer for my 1997 Grand Cherokee 4.0 / 2WD transmission problem.
My Jeep is not driveable as it is.

Thanks for any assistance.
Its bad for me to jump to this conclusion but its sounds like the check valve in the cooler line stuck and starved the tranny of fluid. It will most likely need a rebuild and make sure whoever does it gets rid of that check valve or it will happen again. I have four of these jeep in my family and I have done away with the check valves on all of mine since the guy at the transmission shop told me to get rid of them!!!!
jeepyard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.