42RE tranny questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 42RE tranny questions

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for Jeeps~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 11-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
keenphis
1994 XJ Cherokee 

42RE tranny questions

EDIT: 95 Grand Cherokee, 4.0, 42re transmision and all time 4x4.
Well hear I am begging for answers. Recently got a 95 ZJ with 180,000 on the OD. The guy I got it from said that he had all the seals and what not gone through in the tranny.
Well after about two weeks of having it the tranny would act as if it were slipping in high gear. When I am on the freeway going between 60 and 70 mph it acts as if it wants to downshift. It is just a quick jerk. Sometimes it will do it a few times and sometimes it will not do it at all. There is no loss of power and the RPM's dont change.
I have changed the filter in the tranny and did not see any metal flakes or anything out of the norm. And the problem still persist.
The other problem is that if I hit the gas real hard from a stand still then it acts as if the tranny is not grabbing a gear and makes a terrible noise. It will also do this sometimes on the freeway when it trys to drop down into the passing gear.
Along with the proposed problems it takes it a second to engage from reverse to Drive but not bad.
I am at a loss with this thing so any advice would be appreciated.

keenphis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
1997ddzj
2002 WJ 

I forget what tranny it is but IIRC you dont have a 42re. Pretty sure thats the 4.0, the 5.2 has a 44re I believe. Someone will fill ya in though.
1997ddzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
97JGC2WD_AA
1997 ZJ 

If not appropriate to chime in on this transmission issue thread I apologize.
I am not sure how to start a new thread and this thread seems related to my issue.

I also have a transmission slipping issue on my 97 Grand Cherokee 4.0 / 2WD which I think has the 42RE transmission. I am at around 124,000 miles on it and have had it since about 65,000 miles.
I have had the trans fluid changed out at 65,000 when I got it and again at about 95,000 having the filter changed and the complete fluid change both times.

Fluid is still pink but probably is due another change. It however looks to be about a quart overfilled.

It was shifting fine until I returned home from a 75 mile trip. Toward the end of the trip the
the overdrive stopped working, then it would only shift to second & a few blocks from home it would not shift
at all. It whines when I put it in reverse and will barely move backward. In 1 or 2 or D it barely inches forward
as I try to accelerate. Any help would be appreciated. Perhaps a sensor or the torque converter?
97JGC2WD_AA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
keenphis
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Anybody? Or is this just me being a dumb@$$?
keenphis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
97JGC2WD_AA
1997 ZJ 

I am not sure what I did incorrectly to elicit the above response but I am new to this forum and am not sure
of all the proper procedures. I did read somewhere about searching first for answers and not starting repetitive
threads. That's the reason I tagged onto this one. If I have used the wrong protocol perhaps someone could send a private message to help me understand the correct procedure to follow to ask a question.

I am sincerely looking for an answer for my 1997 Grand Cherokee 4.0 / 2WD transmission problem.
My Jeep is not driveable as it is.

Thanks for any assistance.
Unread 12-02-2009, 02:02 AM   #6
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

sounds like its time for a rebuild on the trans.. You can however hope that its a sensor problem and check the codes. Use the key trick on/off three times and watch the over drive light.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 02:47 AM   #7
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Adjust the trans. bands and a trans. filter change too ???
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
97JGC2WD_AA
1997 ZJ 

Thanks phitmein.

Is there a step by step on adjusting the bands on a 42RE transmission?
Unread 12-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #9
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

97JGC2W, see if this link works for you and see if you can find your answer there.

JeepForum.com - Search Results
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
440_Magnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997ddzj View Post
I forget what tranny it is but IIRC you dont have a 42re. Pretty sure thats the 4.0, the 5.2 has a 44re I believe. Someone will fill ya in though.
Don't quote me on this, but I think Chrysler called the Aisin-Warner AW4 behind the 4.0 a "42RE." All that means is "4-speed, moderate-duty (2= moderate duty, the higher the number the heavier they duty), and electronic control. The Chrysler built RWD transmissions used behind a V8 from that era were the 44RH, 45RH, 46RH, and 47RH (diesel Ram trucks only).

As for the original poster's problem, the "makes a terrible noise" when you nail it from a stop sounds... well... not good. But it could be the transfer case and not the transmission too.
440_Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440_Magnum View Post
Don't quote me on this, but I think Chrysler called the Aisin-Warner AW4 behind the 4.0 a "42RE." All that means is "4-speed, moderate-duty (2= moderate duty, the higher the number the heavier they duty), and electronic control. The Chrysler built RWD transmissions used behind a V8 from that era were the 44RH, 45RH, 46RH, and 47RH (diesel Ram trucks only).

As for the original poster's problem, the "makes a terrible noise" when you nail it from a stop sounds... well... not good. But it could be the transfer case and not the transmission too.
No, not even close. The AW4 and 42RE are completely different transmissions. The AW4 was offered in early 93 ZJ's, then 93.25-98 had the 42RE. Chrysler did not use a 44RH or 45RH. The 46RH was used behind the 5.2 from 93-95, and the 44RE was used from 96-98. The 46RE was used behind the 5.9 in 1998.
Unread 12-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
440_Magnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
No, not even close. The AW4 and 42RE are completely different transmissions. The AW4 was offered in early 93 ZJ's, then 93.25-98 had the 42RE.
Hmmm. The AW4 was the *ONLY* rear-drive "E" (full electronic) automatic transmission sold by Chrysler back then. Chrysler's own "E" transmissions were the 41TE (minivans and transverse-engine front drives) and the 42LE (longitudinal engine front-drives- the LH cars). The rear-drive 4-speed A-904 and A-727 derivatives were all referred to as either A500 and A518, or "4xRH" not "4XRE." A version of the 42LE eventually became the 42RLE used in current Jeeps behind the 3.8L.

Chrysler replaced the mechanical governor on the 4xRH series with a computer-controlled VDC solenoid in about 96 and started calling them 4xRE, but they weren't *really* electronic because all the actual shifting was still done via a hydraulic valve body. So when the 545RFE came out, they stuck the "F" in there for "Fully" electronic. It was the first Chrysler-sourced, full electronic rear-drive transmission to the best of my knowledge.

So something doesn't compute here, or there's a hole in my knowledge that I have overlooked for 15 years or so. I have no idea what a mid-90s "42RE" would be, other than a re-named AW4.
Unread 12-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #13
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440_Magnum View Post
Hmmm. The AW4 was the *ONLY* rear-drive "E" (full electronic) automatic transmission sold by Chrysler back then. Chrysler's own "E" transmissions were the 41TE (minivans and transverse-engine front drives) and the 42LE (longitudinal engine front-drives- the LH cars). The rear-drive 4-speed A-904 and A-727 derivatives were all referred to as either A500 and A518, or "4xRH" not "4XRE." A version of the 42LE eventually became the 42RLE used in current Jeeps behind the 3.8L.

Chrysler replaced the mechanical governor on the 4xRH series with a computer-controlled VDC solenoid in about 96 and started calling them 4xRE, but they weren't *really* electronic because all the actual shifting was still done via a hydraulic valve body. So when the 545RFE came out, they stuck the "F" in there for "Fully" electronic. It was the first Chrysler-sourced, full electronic rear-drive transmission to the best of my knowledge.

So something doesn't compute here, or there's a hole in my knowledge that I have overlooked for 15 years or so. I have no idea what a mid-90s "42RE" would be, other than a re-named AW4.
There's a hole in your knowledge. 1993 was the first year Chrysler used the 42RE. The 42RE is the little brother to the 44RE and 46RE. NOT a renamed AW4.
Unread 12-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #14
440_Magnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
There's a hole in your knowledge. 1993 was the first year Chrysler used the 42RE. The 42RE is the little brother to the 44RE and 46RE. NOT a renamed AW4.
Cool- its nice to learn that. But the others didn't go "E" until 96 with the introduction of the electronic governor, so isn't it technically a 42RH, little brother of the 44RH, 46RH, and 47RH?

Also, is it 904-based instead of 727-based? If so, then its a relative of (or identical to, other than bellhousing bolt pattern) the A500 used in the 3.9L powered Dakota from 92 on.

<google>

Well shut my mouth. It was in fact the first "xxRE" transmission, preceeding the 44RE and others by 2 years, it IS 904-based, and was internally called the A500-ES. So basically, its an A904 with an electrically actuated OD unit in the tail housing (which defines an A500) and a speed sensor replacing the governor, which enables the computer to control a VDC solenoid that then mimics "governor pressure" to the conventional hydraulic valve body (that's the "ES" part). And it was introduced in the Grand Cherokee, exactly the same way the 545RFE was first introduced in the Grand Cherokee then migrated to other applications. I guess they consider Grand Cherokee owners good guinea pigs, or else figure that a relatively lightweight vehicle is a good proving ground for a concept before they put it in a heavier pickup truck ;-)

Its also probably nearly impossible to swap into an XJ to get rid of the AW4, since it does involve the computer :-/ About the best you could do would be to buy a trashed 42RE for the case with the 4.0 bell pattern, then swap the guts of an older A-500 (including the governor and OD section in the tailhousing) in its place and activate the OD and TCC functions with one of the A500/A518 controllers made for muscle car retrofits... ASSuming they didn't delete the governor pressure passage in the case, which they might have done.

Thanks for pointing this out to me- I've been a Mopar guy for 30 years but just got seriously into Jeeps a couple years back (and have been wondering why it took me so long ever since).

BACK to the OP: I still say check out the T-case before you assume its the transmission. If something's wrong enough to "make a horrible noise" under power, then I'd expect you to find at least some amount of metal in the T-case oil or the tranny oil. You already said the tranny oil was clean, so.....

Last edited by 440_Magnum; 12-03-2009 at 03:38 PM..
Unread 12-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #15
Nickell80
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97JGC2WD_AA View Post
If not appropriate to chime in on this transmission issue thread I apologize.
I am not sure how to start a new thread and this thread seems related to my issue.

I also have a transmission slipping issue on my 97 Grand Cherokee 4.0 / 2WD which I think has the 42RE transmission. I am at around 124,000 miles on it and have had it since about 65,000 miles.
I have had the trans fluid changed out at 65,000 when I got it and again at about 95,000 having the filter changed and the complete fluid change both times.

Fluid is still pink but probably is due another change. It however looks to be about a quart overfilled.

It was shifting fine until I returned home from a 75 mile trip. Toward the end of the trip the
the overdrive stopped working, then it would only shift to second & a few blocks from home it would not shift
at all. It whines when I put it in reverse and will barely move backward. In 1 or 2 or D it barely inches forward
as I try to accelerate. Any help would be appreciated. Perhaps a sensor or the torque converter?
I have the exact same thing happening to mine, I have a '94 2wd. And my Jeep has been doing basically the same for a few months. I was thinking that it's a sensor but I really have no idea and no money to try and figure it out right now.
Nickell80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.