42RE overdrive problem 98 GC 4.0L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 42RE overdrive problem 98 GC 4.0L

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-14-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
stufor

42RE overdrive problem 98 GC 4.0L

New subscriber that has registered looking for help with this specific situation. I have a 98 GC Laredo. The transmission flutters in & out of overdrive momentarily & occasionally at any speed that overdrive is engaged. Trans shop says there is nothing wrong with the transmission that can be detected thru diagnostics. Fluid & filter change bands adjusted etc. with no affect. The general opinion is an electrical momentary interruption caused by some connection, sensor, switch or something. Happens with or without cruise control activated. The transmission functions flawlessly in all other situations hot or cold.
Anyone out there had a similar problem? Looking for suggestions.

stufor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
etoracca

If trans diagnostics are ok (both fault codes and pressure), did you check the O/D switch ?

bye
Enrico
Unread 09-14-2006, 11:42 AM   #3
GCJeeper1993

I have been having basically the same problem with my 93 5.2 Limited. I still have not gotten an answer on the problem yet. My thread is under the heading of "Transmission expert needed." I am watching any threads hoping to find the answer to the problem. Good luck and let me know if someone answers your thread with the correct diagnosis and I will do the same.
5.2L White with gold trim
242 XJ conversion
GCJeeper1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
CajunWon

If you're speaking of a 1-200rpm fluctuation: This is common. Mine went away when I flushed the ATF & changed to ATF+4 (now a DCX requirement). But if you just changed the ATF+4 (with ATF+4), then I wouldn't worry about it.

If your issue is it goes from 2k to 2.6k or 3k rpm, then your kick-down cable needs adjusting.

imo
CajunWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
stufor

Enrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoracca
If trans diagnostics are ok (both fault codes and pressure), did you check the O/D switch ?

bye
Enrico

I appreciate your reply. I have not checked the switch other than to say if you use it, it does what it is supposed to do. What would you suggest as proper testing?
Unread 09-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #6
stufor

Cajunwon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunWon
If you're speaking of a 1-200rpm fluctuation: This is common. Mine went away when I flushed the ATF & changed to ATF+4 (now a DCX requirement). But if you just changed the ATF+4 (with ATF+4), then I wouldn't worry about it.

If your issue is it goes from 2k to 2.6k or 3k rpm, then your kick-down cable needs adjusting.

imo
It is a slight fluctuation 1-200 range. I use Mobile 1 full syn atf. Not familiar with +4. What is it. I have had jeeps since 1979 to include a 1996 GC with same set up and also currently also own a 1999 gc laredo with same set up. I have never had any other one do this. I am a little anal and really believe that something is not quite right.
Unread 09-14-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
CajunWon

OK: that's not Overdrive related -it is the Lockup Torque Converter. And has everything to do with the ATF you are using.

Chrysler says to use ATF+4 on all their TorqueFlight Transmissions. I understand this ATF type has recently become available in regular parts stores for ~$4/qt. You will need at least 10qts to flush-out the Mobil. Search for "DIY Transmission Flush" procedures. **oh wait, we can't search now** anyway it's not much harder than a simple ATF change.

I'm no mechanic -YMMV
CajunWon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.