42re limp mode again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 42re limp mode again

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
jbigalow

42re limp mode again

first off 95 jeep grand cherokee 4.0 42re
the code read 26

26 Governor pressure sensor offset drift

I've been reading up and usually people have problems with these sensors so they replace both the sensor and solenoid because they seem to both go. well i took my chances and i went to jeep since the part was cheaper there than online for the sensor. i pulled the jeep in unpluged the battery to reset the computer. i've read you only need 15mins an i've read it takes 24 hours. so i replaced the sensor, tried cleaning the solenoid. put everything back filled her up and started it about 3 hours later after i unpluged the battery. started great the error blinking light went away it just showed 55. so i drove it around and it still felt like it was in limp mode but it felt alot stronger just still starting out in 2nd. i drove it around for about 15 mins at one point it went into 1st gear but when i went at higher speed it seemed like it was riding second so i check the shifter and put it in neutral than back into drive and it started out in 2nd for the rest of the night. i got back home turned it off and did the 3 key thing and sure enought code 26 came back on. needless to say i was pissed about it so i unpluged that battery and went to bed thinking maybe u do have to wait 24 hours.

anyone got any input to my tranny or should i get ready to pull down my pants and drop the soap. i've tried all i can think of please let me know what u think i should do or where i should kick the dang thing.

thanks for your time

---james

jbigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 10:49 PM   #2
ta2oodfreak
1996 ZJ 

so you cleaned the solenoid and replaced the transducer? always replace them together, makes life less painful.
TREC Series #44
ta2oodfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 11:22 PM   #3
jbigalow

so even though it's not showing the solenoid code it could be that? my trans has 209k on it. i know it's alot in the real world but in the 4.0 jeep world it still has some life left. is this a common thing were u need to replace both? any input would be great thanks
Unread 08-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #4
Den_FL
1996 ZJ 

My 96 didn't show any codes..ever. It has over 238k of mostly highway miles.

I replaced both and it has been flawless since. I posted on here were I purchased both for around $110. Do a search for my username if you need the info. The local auto parts stores wanted about twice as much for the sensors

Den
Unread 08-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
teenwolf1393
1997 ZJ 

den i searched for ur post of where u got ur solinoid and sensor, but came up empty handed. could u let me know where u got the parts.
teenwolf1393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2007, 02:44 AM   #6
Den_FL
1996 ZJ 

Oops..I posted it on another forum :
======================
Update for people searching for transmission info. I posted above in this thread the problems I was having. At that time I wasn't aware of the governor solenoid in the valve body

I replaced both the governor solenoid and and the governor pressure transducer and my problems went away. Shifting normally and better than ever. I bought both the parts for under $110 from an online transmission parts wholesaler that I found locally. http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/

They are both easy to change. Drop the pan and on the passenger side of the valve body you will see a small housing bolted to the valve body with the 2 components. Disconnect the wire connectors to both the solenoid and the transducer. Remove the bolts and torx bolts to remove the small steel shield and aluminum body from the main valve body. The governor solenoid is the center one and should just pull right out (the outer shield holds it in). There is a small clip inside the housing to remove the transducer. Replace both and reattach housing to main valve body.

It's a very simple job and even quicker to do it you already have a drain plug on the trans pan. I welded one on the last time I did the filter

=============
Just call..he'll know what you need right off the top of his head. Walked right to the bin and got them for me..no books required Even got a valve body and showed me how to do the work.
Unread 08-04-2007, 03:53 AM   #7
merlinTec

I work at a Dealer and we always do both.
Unread 08-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #8
jbigalow

AHHH!!! im kicking myself cause i went to the dealer and paid 250 for both but on the plus side it WorKS!!!! thanks guys

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.