42RE late shift ONLY from 2nd to 3rd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 42RE late shift ONLY from 2nd to 3rd

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 09-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
jjack972
1994 ZJ 

42RE late shift ONLY from 2nd to 3rd

I recently began having an issue with my 94 ZJ 4.0 with the 42RE transmission, where it winds out in 2nd before it shifts to 3rd, then once it shifts into 3rd, almost immediately it kicks into O/D.

I have spent hours searching and reading the threads pertaining to the 42RE issues, and I have not been able to find one with my exact symptoms. That being said, I apologize if this has already been covered.

What I have done: Changed out the fluid and filter (I used ATF+4 fluid), I have adjusted the TV cable and it seems that adjustment only effects the shift point from 1st to 2nd.

I am thinking the next step is to replace the governor pressure solenoid and sensor, which I am not opposed to doing, but I hate to keep throwing money (and tranny fluid) down the drain, so I am looking for advice. If I do decide to replace the solenoid and sensor, should I also adjust the bands? I will admit I am a little reluctant to do this, as I have read several threads on this and there are mixed recommendations on how many turns to back them out once torqued. I also know that improperly adjusted bands can do more harm than good.

Also, can anyone tell me what the normal shift points should be in RPM's?

One last thing...if I do need to replace the governor solenoid and sensor, should I use OEM from the dealer or the beefier solenoid made by Borg Warner? I have read mixed reviews on this as well.

This is my first Jeep, and I am loving it so far, even with the issues I have come across. And this forum has been an invaluable tool for researching and solving my issues so far. Who needs a Haynes manual?? LOL

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

jjack972 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
jjack972
1994 ZJ 

Thought of a couple things to add...my Jeep has 168K miles. I bought it in May of this year and the guy I bought it from (second owner) told me the transmission had been replaced by the original owner, but he wasn't sure when, whether it was rebuilt or just reclaimed (i.e. from a junkyard).

Also, when I first took it out today, it shifted fine through all the gears (light on the throttle) until it warmed up. I have read other threads that said when the op let off the gas while winding out in 2nd, it would shift to 3rd. That does not work for me. On the contrary, if I give it more gas, it will shift at around 55-60mph. Sometimes, I can only get it to catch 3rd by completely letting off the gas, shifting to neutral, then back to drive and it drops into third no problem.
Unread 09-05-2013, 03:35 AM   #3
rocpede4x4

I have the same problem, but mine is 1st to 2nd gear. I have been told it mite be a bad output sensor. Ill be picking it up on Friday to see if they will fix the problem or not. I tell u more when i get it installed.
rocpede4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #4
rocpede4x4

I forgot to say in my last post is that my jeep is also a 94 ZJ.
rocpede4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
jjack972
1994 ZJ 

Thanks man!

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Unread 09-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
jjack972
1994 ZJ 

Can anyone at least tell me what their shift points are under light throttle? Heavy throttle?
Unread 09-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
jjack972
1994 ZJ 

A little help here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjack972 View Post
Can anyone at least tell me what their shift points are under light throttle? Heavy throttle?
Anyone? Please.
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

A bad speed sensor can cause shifting delay problems
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
jjack972
1994 ZJ 

Thank you! From the threads I just read, I think that might just be the problem.
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

As fioer the 4.0 shift points.. I haven't driven ours in a long time since I drive the 5.9 more often.. But I do know the OD kicks in at around 40mph, and the torque convertor locks at 50mph like clock work.. 2nd and third gear I cant remember im sorry
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
jjack972
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
As fioer the 4.0 shift points.. I haven't driven ours in a long time since I drive the 5.9 more often.. But I do know the OD kicks in at around 40mph, and the torque convertor locks at 50mph like clock work.. 2nd and third gear I cant remember im sorry
Thanks so much Candyman!! I am going to replace the output sensor today and see what that does for me.
Unread 02-28-2014, 03:22 AM   #12
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Did the speed sensor ever help? I'm helping a friend with 42re in a 06 tj. Won't shift into 3rd or 4th(od). Throws code from 3rd gear ratio incorrect.
Unread 03-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #13
woodszj

a bad tps can be the problem as well i a 96 5.2 mine was doing the same thang i replace the tps and run fine now
woodszj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #14
scarecrow32440
1996 ZJ 

Can a nss cause shifting problems?
scarecrow32440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #15
DevJeep90
1996 ZJ 

My 42re has a late shift out of second as well. Only does it the first shift and then it shifts normally though. Posted my issue a while back and think someone suggested adjusting the front band. Haven't got around to it but worth a try. I just don't want to throw electrical parts at it if it's not the issue
DevJeep90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.