42RE - how much fluid? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 42RE - how much fluid?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
Adam86
1998 ZJ 

42RE - how much fluid?

Apologies if this info is on the forum if so ive missed it.

From using Google ive read l need ATF+4 fluid? I've found the filter but im getting conflicting information about how much fluid ill need? I assume when draining the transmission it will also drain the transfer case?

Anything l need to be aware of when doing the change? Or tips?

Cheers

Adam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Just a fluid and filter change you'll only drain out 2 quarts. Now if you were going to run fresh fluid through the torque converter and valve body it's a lot more (6 or 8 quarts) but 90% of us don't have the equipment to do that.

Once again just dropping the pan and filter is two quarts.

And no, it won't drain the transfer case. That has a big bolt on the bottom to drain it. Word to the wise if you go to change the xfer case fluid make sure you get the filler plug out FIRST BEFORE you drain it. It seriously sucks to drain something THEN find out you can't fill it back up because of a stuck bolt...
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
Adam86
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the advice its appreciated!

My trans and t-case are overdue a service by 20k! According to my service manual. Is it important that l get a full fluid change done? If l can get away with just the fluid and filter change ill do that rather than pay someone with the equipment.

How much fluid will the transfer case need? Thanks for the tip!
Adam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

transfer case is less than 2qts if it's the 242... IIRC 231 is around the same and i wouldn't be shocked to hear the 249 is too
AmishFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Yep just a couple quartsif dropping the pan/filter, maybe up to 4 depending on how long you let it drip. Just put about 1.5qts in it, run it through the gears and check in Neutral before adding more if needed at all. FYI a dry 42RE takes between 8.5-11 quarts. All 3 t-cases take less than 2 quarts.

NP 231 takes 1.1 qts
NP 242 takes 1.5 qts
NP 249 takes 1.25 qts
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.