Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

42re has one glitch

828 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  GOLDWING 
#1 ·
Occasionally when I accelerate from a stop at or near full throttle the transmission will act as if it momentarily slips out of gear at or near the shift point in second gear. When it happened I just let off the throttle and it re-engaged and worked as normal. This has only happened a couple of times.

The TV cable is properly adjusted. The fluid and filter were changed 5,000 miles ago and the fluid level is spot on. I have not adjusted the bands and have no idea when they were last adjusted.

There are no signs of slippage at any other time. It locks up normally in OD and shifts very smoothly.

Has anyone seen this before? Any hints? Thanks in advance.

GW

#5 ·
Yes, the FSM is a must. I know that you can find downloads on them. I'd steer clear of the freebies, unless it's through a well-known Jeep site or something. Such things are known to contain strange code-monsters, etc.

It could be the front band needs adjustment, clutch or servo failure, governor circuit electrical fault, or pump suction passage leak.

Have you replaced your pressure solenoid and sensor? This is a common repair to our transmissions. For the pump suction-passage, you can look at your trans dipstick after driving for a while to see if there is a lot of foam present. These are from the '98 FSM. There were others, but it sounds like you've dealt with those issues/adjustments. Good luck.

#6 ·
GOLDWING said:
I don't know. I guess it's time to order an FSM. GW
Try Jeepslimited.com. That's where I got my '96 FSM for free with zero problems. You have to make an account and then the download is free. I printed mine out at work and put it in a three ring binder.

#8 ·
Have you noticed whether it does it only when cold? Hard throttle like that when the trans isn't ready can make it act up like that with age.

#11 ·
Good question KG. I've never mashed the skinny pedal before the rig was up to operating temperature. My hunch says that there is an issue with a solenoid or the switch that controls it. I am going to study it tomorrow early in my new FSM.

GW

#10 ·
If it does it all the time then your TV cable is out of adjustment or you need to do band adjustment.

#12 ·
I'd start with checking & adjusting the front band as necessary. Front band is used ONLY on 2nd gear (no matter if in D-range or manual/ forced second), so slipping during gear shift could be caused by that. It can also be a valve body issue or a front servo issue.

#13 ·
It is not slipping during the upshift from 2nd to third. It happens just prior to when I would expect it to upshift. The RPMs jump as if it slipped into neutral, and when I lift off of the throttle it re-engages.

GW

#14 ·
I thought you meant it slips during 1-2 upshift.
So you're saying it happens just before tranny would shift from 2nd to third?

#15 ·
That's what it feels like. I couldn't get it to do it at all today, so maybe there isn't anything seriously wrong. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

GW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.