Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

42RE to AX15 Question

693 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ax1598ZJ 
#1 ·
I have a donor zj that is complete so I am working on moving the AX15 in it to mine that has a 42RE. I have one question before I tear apart the one with the 42RE, I know I have to move the flywheel, but would the zj with the automatic have the spot for the clutch pinion bearing? Hays manual mentions how to replace it but since its not used on a 42RE will the crankshaft have a spot for it? Thanks!

#2 ·
Yes you should be good to go there, just take the one out the donor and put it into your other jeep. At least that's what I did(I think, November was a long time ago you know).

As far as taking out that bushing I filled the crankshaft full will a grease gun. Then I got a socket that fit in there just barely with little to no wiggle room. Then I stuck an extension through the front of the socket and hammered on it till the pressure pushed the bearing out. I'll take a picture and show you what I mean.

I did this back in November, pretty straightforward swap, pain in the *** a few times but worth it. Everything swapped over. Some drilling but mostly bolt in. What years your jeep out of curiosity?

#3 ·
The donor is a '93 and I'm putting it in my '95. I got the transmission out today and will work on the clutch and flywheel next. I need to get the clutch cylinders and petals out yet. Will I need to remove the brake system to get the clutch petal and master/slave in? Thanks!

#4 ·
kb9mfd said:
The donor is a '93 and I'm putting it in my '95. I got the transmission out today and will work on the clutch and flywheel next. I need to get the clutch cylinders and petals out yet. Will I need to remove the brake system to get the clutch petal and master/slave in? Thanks!
Swap should be even simpler for you, less drilling. No you shouldn't have to. The pedal was the annoying part, I had to use a hole saw to cut for the master

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.