42re to 44re swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 42re to 44re swap

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-29-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
angry troll
1990 YJ Wrangler 

42re to 44re swap

my 94 grand has 207### miles and the 42 is starting to slip. i have an opertunity to get a 44re for real cheap and would like to know if it is do-able. if i could get some info that would be great. thanx, T
i forgot to mention i have an I-6 and was not told what engine was in the other. i do know it was in a 4x4. in that brings up another question.... will the transfercase match? again thanx.

Last edited by angry troll; 10-29-2007 at 12:41 PM..
angry troll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
ZJMAN
1998 ZJ 

To the best of my knowledge they never put a 44Re behind the 4.0. So you'll have to swap the guts of the 44 into the 42 case. This is a frequent swap and will give you HD components.
ZJMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
angry troll
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ok so just use the guts from the 44 and new steels and frictions? what kinda improvement will this be? just trying to figure it out. so is it the bell housing, length, anyting obvious? just trying to do a quick swap to get the jeep going till i get a rebuild kit for the 42. thanx for the info on the HD conversion.
angry troll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

try to get an AW4
[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2007, 12:57 AM   #5
Sporer65
1993 ZJ 

With a 94, I would also try to get an AW4. But to answer your question, the 44RE was used behind the V8 in 96-98. So I do not think that the tranny will work. But I have heard of swapping the internals of the 44 into the 42 but I do not any specifics.

1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8: Rear Aussie, 3.5" Lift, 31" M/Ts

GA Trail Riders
Sporer65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
ZJMAN
1998 ZJ 

I do know that there are more clutch disks and other internals are heavier on the 44. I'll try to check my shop maual tonight for specifics.
Unread 10-30-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
ZJMAN
1998 ZJ 

My shop manual says that the differences are in fact the clutch packs.

Front Clutch:
42RE - 4 discs
44RE - 5 discs

Rear Clutch:
Both trans use 4 discs

Overdrive Clutch disc Usage:
42RE - 3 discs
44RE - 4 discs

Direct Clutch disc usage:
42RE - 6 discs
44RE - 8 discs

All other specs appear to be the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.