40 amp fuse blown when key is turned over. please help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 40 amp fuse blown when key is turned over. please help.

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
faltona
1997 ZJ 

40 amp fuse blown when key is turned over. please help.

Hi this is a first time post. I have a 97 grand cherokee 2wd 4.0
It was not starting over so I thought to have my starter replaced because it was making a clicking sound like it didnt want to start, and my battery is good. So autozone tested it and say its good, that the problem is to make another ground and clean the bolts around the starter because it was caked with oil. After doing all that and and putting it back on it is now blowing the 40 amp fuse which is labeled ( eng feed ) every time I turn the key. Does any one have any suggestions? Thank you much.

faltona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
dellis
1998 ZJ 

I don't know your level of mechanical abilities (so I'm not going into detail), but it sounds like you connected the green/black cable to the ground of your starter, rather than to the "S" lug.

If you need pictures that show where to connect the cables let me know.
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
faltona
1997 ZJ 

Yes please. Thank you again
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
dellis
1998 ZJ 

When you write "make another ground", I'm assuming you thought the green/black wire was a ground wire and attached it to something other than the "S" lug (perhaps the body of the starter). It is not a ground wire - it is voltage from your starting switch that activates your starter. If that green/black wire is connected to ground somewhere, then you would be driving starting circuit voltage straight to ground, and thus blowing your fuse.

The ground of your starter is through the engine block.

The image below shows the proper connections (the "S" lug will be a smaller nut/bolt or a tab). The top cylinder is called the "solenoid", and the bottom cylinder is your starter motor. The solenoid works like a light switch. When you turn the switch on your steering column to start your car, voltage is sent into the starter at the "S" lug. This "S" voltage acts like your finger flipping a switch, and the B+ voltage (directly from your battery) is routed through the solenoid and then through that other wire into the starter motor. After the car starts, you release your key on the starter motor, the "S" voltage then disappears and you are effectively flipping the switch on your solenoid to the "off" position.

Unread 06-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
faltona
1997 ZJ 

Hey I really appreciate your info and the picture was great. I took the extra cable off of the bolt I put it on and it stopped blowing the fuse. But it still won't start. I have the positive and negative cables going to the right bolts on the starter, but when I first got this jeep there was another small cable coming from the starter, it came up to the battery and a wire nut was on it. Any reason why this is?
And I can post pictures if that would help any
Unread 06-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by faltona View Post
Any reason why this is?
Probably the remains of a remote start swith so the mechanic can test while starting.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Try and start it in neutral. May have a dead neutral safety switch.
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
faltona
1997 ZJ 

Okay so I finally got it to start, but now it is hit and miss when it wants to start. And my dash cluster won't come one. When I try and put a new fuse in it blows it. So does anyone have any clue to what I should do next. Lol
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
dellis
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by faltona View Post
Okay so I finally got it to start, but now it is hit and miss when it wants to start. And my dash cluster won't come one. When I try and put a new fuse in it blows it. So does anyone have any clue to what I should do next. Lol
These are likely two different issues. Let's work on the starting problem first. Go to autozone and borrow their OBDII scanner, connect it to the car's port (under the dash at the steering column) and let us know if there are any trouble codes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.