4-Wheel Drive problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4-Wheel Drive problem

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-04-2004, 06:33 PM   #1
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

4-Wheel Drive problem

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the Selec-Trac 4-wheel drive system. I seem to be having many problems with it and I'm hoping someone can help me. When I move it into 4-wheel Part time or Full time, it only feels like it goes into it half the time, and when it does go into it, I have a very hard time trying to get it to go back into 2-wheel. I often have to play with it for 5-10 minutes in order to get it to go back in. I noticed most of the time it goes back when I'm in motion, but I have to be going 40-45 mph, and even then I have to hold the stick forward as far against 2 wheel as I can for 10 seconds or so to kick back out. If the car isnít in motion it will not go back into 2 wheel drive. If the car is going any less then 40 mph, its really hard to get it to go back in, and as I stated earlier I find myself pushing the stick hard forward and holding it up against the 2-wheel drive for an extended period of time while in motion to knock it back out and into 2-wheel drive. The computer shows the car in 2 wheel even when it's still stuck in 4 wheel also, I don't know why this happens either. This isn't normal is it?? I took it to a repair place and they recommended taking it somewhere that specializes in transfer cases, but that can cost a lot of money It's really starting to get frustrating...and I hope someone here can give me some advice on this..

Thanks!

Last edited by adgjqetuo; 11-04-2004 at 08:58 PM..
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

Anyone?

anyone......?
Unread 11-04-2004, 09:07 PM   #3
JoshGC4

check your fluid level/quality???????
CharGold Jeep Club Member #2

if you ain't breakin anything, you're not trying hard enough

No, it doesn't have a Hemi.
JoshGC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2004, 09:09 PM   #4
KCjeeper

It is normal for it to take a little bit of time for the torque load on the gears to release enough for it to change into the other mode. Sounds to me like you may have a small difference in tire size between the front and rear though.
Unread 11-04-2004, 09:35 PM   #5
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

I just bought this Jeep a few months ago and it's my first. I don't know much about them, what fluids should I be looking for that would be low? Also, I believe all my tires are the same size, but I don't understand why the computer shows it in 2 wheel drive yet its still in 4 wheel. The car I had before this was a 99 Explorer and all I had to do to put it in and out of 4 wheel was move a switch. This seems a lot more complicated then that. My car never came with an owners manual, is there special directions or guide lines I should follow when moving it in and out of 4-wheel drive?
Unread 11-04-2004, 09:48 PM   #6
KCjeeper

Here is a link to the Mopar axle and t-case spec's.

Verify that all the tires are the same size and pressure. You should always shift in and out of 2WD-4WD while moving. Experiment while driving....sometimes letting off the accelerator momentarily will help it to change mode.

Also, it isn't a computer telling you whether or not it is in 4-wd, but merely a position switch on the gear selector. So even though the shifter is in the indicated position that doesn't mean that the t-case has achieved that mode yet.
Unread 11-04-2004, 10:03 PM   #7
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

I tried experimenting earlier today and I had to constantly play with it to get it to move in and out. It seemed a lot easier to move it into 4 wheel then to move it out. It wouldn't move back into 2 wheel unless I was going at least 40 mph. I shifted it into 4 wheel in a parking lot and it wouldn't go back out until I got back onto the highway and got moving again. Even so, I had to play with it and hold it way forward for numerous seconds before it kicked out. When I took it to have it looked at the guy told me that the linkage was very very tight and he lubricated the hell out of it. After he did that it worked a little better for a month or so, but now it's back to where it was. I wish I could just move it into 4 wheel when I want and then move it out when I want without dealing with the hassle of playing with it...is all this normal for a Jeep or do you think there might be a slight problem somewhere? I was also told to try shifting it into 2 wheel and going in reverse for a little bit then go back into drive. I noticed one time when I was experimenting that when I shifted it into 4 wheel low, and then back into 2 wheel it kicked out sometimes, but not others...I'm trying to decide if it's me or the Jeep and wether or not I should have it looked at...

13 Subaru Outback Limited - Current
04 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland - 23k ~ 71k - Sold
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SE - 73k ~ 150k - Sold
Unread 11-05-2004, 08:17 AM   #8
JoshGC4

well if you still wanna check/change the fluid, it's fairly easy. the only thing you'll need that you might not have is the hex bit socket to take out the plugs... i'm not sure of the size, 3/8? can anyone confirm that? just look at the back of the case when you're under there, here's a pic:

case takes a little under 3 quarts of ATF +3
CharGold Jeep Club Member #2

if you ain't breakin anything, you're not trying hard enough

No, it doesn't have a Hemi.
JoshGC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2004, 09:20 AM   #9
Chrisca

Let the gas off when shifting the transfer case.

To go 4 low, go very slow (1-2 mph) put the tranny in N, shift quickly into into low (don't pause at N), then shift into drive.
Unread 11-05-2004, 09:02 PM   #10
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

I tried the reverse thing and it only worked half the time, so tommorow I'm going to try to look at the fluid level and see if maybe thats the problem...I'll keep you guys posted...thanks for all your help so far, it's much appreciated.

Unread 11-05-2004, 10:16 PM   #11
rowdy1
2002 WJ 

I've had several 4 wheel drive vehicles and they all take some time to drop out of 4wheel after you shift back to 2wheel position.,especially in cold weather. The thing you called the computer is probably just the display on the lower dash. I have a 97 GC and after i move the selector lever back into 2wheel I have to drive a couple of miles for it to drop out of 4wheel.A couple of starts and stops seem to do the trick.Have a great day,rowdy1
rowdy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2004, 07:14 AM   #12
matt.x
1995 ZJ 

you shouldnt have to wait a couple of miles to drop (in normal circumstances). I have the 242 (Select Trac) and on the pavement when I shift from 4FT -> 2WD, it usually drops out as soon as I let off of the gas (I hear a little noise when It drops out). You should always shift smoothly and firmly from one selection to the one you wish to be in (not stopping at positions in between). The 4LO is the exception... I stop the vehicle, put in neutral, shift back to 4LO as smoothly as possible, then put the vehicle back in gear and begin driving ... it is instantaneous - as soon as Im back in gear the vehicle pulls forward in low...

If your car doesnt seem to be behaving in this way, it might be advisable to have it inspected.

Matt
Red Jeep Club Member #237
matt.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2004, 02:13 PM   #13
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

Well today I went to try and look at the fluid level in the Transfer case. I have a Chilton book on my truck and it gives you instructions on how to do that. When I went to do it, I noticed it wasn't a bolt, but it was an allen-wrench bolt. So I went to try and loosen it when I saw that it was stripped...whoever had it before me must have done something to it. So I took it over to an empty parking lot and played around with it for well over an hour and this is what I found:

When in 2WD, if I want to put it into 4WD full time, I have to put the lever in, then shift to reverse, and then back to drive and I can hear it lock in, the lever makes a clicking sound. Then to get it back into 2WD, I have to drive over 20mph and I can feel it kick out.

When i'm in 2WD and I want to go to 4WD part time, I just shift it in and it goes right in nothing more to do.

When I'm in 4WD part time and I want to go to 4WD full time, I have to put it up to 2WD, then move it back down to 4WD full time and do the reverse then drive thing. I tried going from 4WD part time directly to 4WD full time and it didn't work, it stayed in 4WD part time.

Now, this was all while within a parking lot. I then went back on the road normal driving (45-50 mph) and I found that it will not go into full time while in motion, I have to be still and in 2WD then put the car in Reverse and then back to drive and listen for it to click in, other wise it just stays in part time. Also while in motion it was hard to get it back into 2WD no matter what 4WD I was in; it would just go or stay in 4WD part time. I had to be stopped and then start accelerating and after 20-25 mph it would kick out.

I don't know if this is normal or not...after reading this, does anyone reccomend I should have it looked at? I want to try and get this figured out before the winter comes and I'm screwed with the snow.

Thank you to everyone whos been trying to help me on this, I really appreciate it.

Mike

Unread 11-06-2004, 05:17 PM   #14
K-Pax

i'm not sure what type of traction control mine has but the only 4WD options i have is 4 wheel all time or 4 low. i've noticed when i put mine from all time to 4 low, i have to be in neutral on the tranny and sitting still. once i put it in 4 low, the display tells me i'm in low and once i put it in drive, i definitely feel the tons of torque. for example, the forklift at work ran outta propane in the middle of the road so i used the GC to push it back into the lot. put it in 4low and from the torque, i just had to barely push the gas to move the 9,100 lb forklift. i was quite impressed....just put in 4 lo and go
K-Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2004, 06:12 PM   #15
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Mike,
I think you are low on fluid. You're going to have to find a way to remove the plug and replace it. Do that first, then have it checked out. I have the same 242 transfer case and I don't have to back up to engage or disengage any part of it. I can go into everything except 4low while moving down the road at a good rate of speed. I just have to feather the throttle a few seconds for everything to lock up and the same to disengage. If you vehicle is requiring more, I would change the fluid in the t-case, try again, and if it's still acting funny, get it looked at. Good luck!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.