4" IRO LA Complete kit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4" IRO LA Complete kit?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
jdharri7
2002 WJ 

4" IRO LA Complete kit?

Hey, I am looking at getting the IRO 4" critical path front long arm kit for my WJ. And I'm just wondering if there is anything else that I should include to give my Jeep the perfect ride on and off road as it is my DD.

Kit Includes:
Set of 4 new coil springs (4" Lift)
Set of 4 new premium hydro shocks with boots
Set of 4 new extended sway bar links (2 front, 2 rear)
Heavy duty track bar
A-arm spacer
Complete front long arm package (passenger long arm and driver Iron-Y)
Heavy duty front long arm brackets
Transfer case drop kit
Coil spring retainers
Front brake line spacers
Caster adjuster bracket
All necessary hardware

I will definatly upgrade to Doetsch Tech 8000 Shocks, the JKS quick discos, and the adjustable track bar. Would I need anything else? Such as bump stops? What if anything am I missing? Thanks guys!

Unread 07-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Jones
Consider the following...

You won't have the perfect ride unless you get front and rear long arms. The front of that kit will ride great, the rear will be rough.
Unread 07-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ZJones- View Post
You won't have the perfect ride unless you get front and rear long arms. The front of that kit will ride great, the rear will be rough.
Actually the WJ rear suspension is better than the ZJ. It won't be bad because you will get an a-arm spacer but if you want it to better go with adj. control arms or rear long arms. But the WJ rear suspension flexes really well though.

Bumpstops depend on what size tire you run. The best way to do measure for them is get the lift installed, get the tires you want and flex out your suspension to the max. Measure what length you will need.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Depends on how much coin you want to drop, but if you're really looking for "the perfect ride on and off the road" then subtract the shocks from that kit altogether and source some Bilsteins or another quality monotube.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
Depends on how much coin you want to drop, but if you're really looking for "the perfect ride on and off the road" then subtract the shocks from that kit altogether and source some Bilsteins or another quality monotube.
x2

And get a Trail Boss SS MOOG

Do you really need brake line Spacers at 4inchs?
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
x2

And get a Trail Boss SS MOOG

Do you really need brake line Spacers at 4inchs?
With long arms, better safe then sorry.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Unread 07-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
With long arms, better safe then sorry.
good cause im t-rexing it lol yea long arms more up down movement.

glad im just a street queen that likes bad weather lol.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
jdharri7
2002 WJ 

Thanks for all the fast responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ZJones- View Post
I would love long arms but can't afford them now. Hopefully I will get the Clayton long arm upgrade sometime soon after though!!

So with the bump stops, how do I know what length to get? Im goin to be running 265/70R17s for now with is about a 31.6in tire.
Unread 07-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

I'd say 4" bumpstops would be enough, then trim whatever rubs. I'd let someone chime in that's run that exact setup though before making your decision.

And no, rear long arms aren't needed until ~6". The ride will be fine at 4" because when going over bumps the control arms will want to rotate backwards, whereas with front arms, they want to rotate forward and upward causing a harsh bump. Even at 4" and crappy shocks, the ride is tolerable with front short arms.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
tsconver
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
I'd say 4" bumpstops would be enough, then trim whatever rubs. I'd let someone chime in that's run that exact setup though before making your decision.

And no, rear long arms aren't needed until ~6". The ride will be fine at 4" because when going over bumps the control arms will want to rotate backwards, whereas with front arms, they want to rotate forward and upward causing a harsh bump. Even at 4" and crappy shocks, the ride is tolerable with front short arms.
measure the hub to fender now and then after the lift and add the difference to the bumpstop length.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
jdharri7
2002 WJ 

With a 4" lift, do I even need bumpstops? And honestly I'm not even exactly sure on what they do, just make sure there is not metal on metal rubbing?
Unread 07-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #12
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

The prevent the tire from getting into the fender or other unwanted areas. What size tires do you plan on running?

WJ, WK, CJ5

Unread 07-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #13
jdharri7
2002 WJ 

31.6s. Which I'm almost positive will not rub even at full flex. Am I wrong?
Unread 07-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #14
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

No you should be good. So I am guess 265/75/16 then? But like I said before the best thing is get everything installed and test it. Max out the flex and if you need bumpstops then, measure and order them. You don't want to be on the trail and a tire eat into your fender, it isn't fun.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Unread 07-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #15
jdharri7
2002 WJ 

Well its 265/70R17 but yeah. So I dont understand how bump stops will stop the wheel from going into the fender. Does it just lengthen the lift so that the wheel can't reach the fender?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.