4.7L V8 Towing capacities - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7L V8 Towing capacities

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
Nick
2006 WK 

4.7L V8 Towing capacities

I was surprised I couldn't find any answered threads through search, but does anyone know the towing capacity of the 4.7L V8 WJ?

I've been looking into buying a WJ to tow my XJ, and to use as a DD. Which years are best? I know next to nothing about the Grand Cherokee.

Thanks for your help!

2001 WJ | 4.7L V8 | Utah Jeepcrew #19 | Hemi Club Member 60

1990 White XJ Laredo [Sold]
2000 Silverstone XJ Classic [Sold]
2006 Dodge Charger RT Hemi [Sold]
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee [Current]

Xbox Live gamertag: XJ Nickk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcMuff View Post
Banned for being the cooler Nick
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its 6,500 lbs according to Jeep.

It will flat tow your XJ decently, but if you want to trailer it, you'll be pushing it.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Its 6,500 lbs according to Jeep.

It will flat tow your XJ decently, but if you want to trailer it, you'll be pushing it.
6,500 without any kind of towing package?

Quote:
Unread 02-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

No its 6,500 with class 4 towing package w/ trans cooler, PS cooler, 3.73 axle ratio, etc.

The 6,500 pounds also included the cargo in your Jeep, your personal weight, etc.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/trailer.htm

The combined weight of the trailer is 10,500, my door jam says my jeep weighs 5,500, so I guess i can only tow 5,000??
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Nick
2006 WK 

I see, thanks for your help, I' m going to read over that website you listed.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Unread 02-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

You'll know enough to purchase a WJ after reading that site!
Unread 02-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
Nick
2006 WK 

a WJ has been tempting me for quite awhile, in my area I can pick up a 2000-2003 for almost as much as I paid for my XJ, around 5K. I'd rather trailer tow my XJ, though, so maybe a WJ isn't for me.

Quote:
Unread 02-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Your XJ weighs what, about 3500 pounds? With a 1000 pound aluminum flatbed, no problem. With a 2000 pound steel/wood trailer, it's doable, but consider spending the coin for a load leveling hitch and/or airbags for the back end.

I was able to put a 1978 Ford F150 4x4 on a flatbed and tow it ~30 miles home, but I was almost riding on my bumpstops in the back. Then again, I'm set up for wheeling, not towing heavy loads.

There's no shortage of power, with stock tires you'll be fine. I've got 33" tires and it makes a bigger difference than you'd think.

I'd get the smallest/lightest trailer you can afford that will handle your XJ, and then get a load leveling hitch and make sure you've got the factory HD towing package, and toss an electric brake controller in there. I think it was 2003 that was pre-wired for the brake controller. Oddly enough, I think it was only 2003.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio102 View Post
Your XJ weighs what, about 3500 pounds? With a 1000 pound aluminum flatbed, no problem. With a 2000 pound steel/wood trailer, it's doable, but consider spending the coin for a load leveling hitch and/or airbags for the back end.

I was able to put a 1978 Ford F150 4x4 on a flatbed and tow it ~30 miles home, but I was almost riding on my bumpstops in the back. Then again, I'm set up for wheeling, not towing heavy loads.

There's no shortage of power, with stock tires you'll be fine. I've got 33" tires and it makes a bigger difference than you'd think.

I'd get the smallest/lightest trailer you can afford that will handle your XJ, and then get a load leveling hitch and make sure you've got the factory HD towing package, and toss an electric brake controller in there. I think it was 2003 that was pre-wired for the brake controller. Oddly enough, I think it was only 2003.
You're right, my XJ will likely weigh a little closer to 4,000 pounds after you factor in beefy bumpers and other accessories, but I think you've got a point. I'd keep this WJ stock, and it would just be a DD and would likely never see dirt.

I don't know that I'd be able to find a WJ with the factory HD towing package, but I could likely get all of the components from a stealership?

I've always liked the way the Grand Cherokee handles on the road, so if I can work it out that the WJ can handle the towing, I'll likely go with that over a Dodge Ram or something like that.

So, if it comes down to it, I'd want to get the 03' for the brake controller?

Quote:
Unread 02-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Adding a trans and PS cooler is easy. You can get universal coolers at NAPA

Also adding a hitch and the required wiring harness is easy. Try junkyards and forums for a used hitch. The harness plugs right in, behind the L side quarter panel.

You can also add a brake controller, so I wouldnt narrow down your search to 2003 just for that.
Unread 02-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
Nick
2006 WK 

Gotcha. My father is a Jeep technician for a dealership here in Utah, so luckily I always have his expertise to fall back on.

So, this really does sound doable. I'd rather not buy a new trailer, but like Grand Cherokees, there are quite a few on the market most of the time. I haven't really done any heavy duty towing, just stuff under probably 700lbs, will a dual axle trailer be needed to handle the weight of the XJ?

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.