4.7l oill fill spout gunk! Head Gasket? Cracked Head? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7l oill fill spout gunk! Head Gasket? Cracked Head?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
kc8ztw
1993 ZJ 

4.7l oill fill spout gunk! Head Gasket? Cracked Head?

I know this isn't really the right thread for this but I'm hoping the WJ guys can help.

My mom has a 2001 Durango with the 4.7L. It has been starting to go through antifreeze lately and is getting worse and now I'm starting to notice yellowish buildup in the oil fill spout.

Anybody ever have this? Head Gasket? Cracked Head? Other ideas?
Thanks

kc8ztw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
fisher2985
1988 XJ Cherokee 

check ur oil stick. if it looks ok, then its just condensation buildup. (these engines are pretty bad for doing this.)
fisher2985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

a little bit is normal if you do a lot of short trip driving, since it's using coolant and you're getting a decent amount of build up i'd say you've got a problem.

you won't know which it is till you take it apart and have the heads checked.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
kc8ztw
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher2985 View Post
check ur oil stick. if it looks ok, then its just condensation buildup. (these engines are pretty bad for doing this.)
I have been keeping an eye on the dipstick and it doesn't look normal. Last oil change we put the used oil in milk jugs and let it sit around to see if coolant would separate out. NOPE! and the oil level is not rising either.

I think I'm going to pull the spark plugs and see if I find anything weird.
Unread 10-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
txtumbleweed
2000 WJ 

This question comes up every year when things start to get colder.

Does your mom do a lot of short trips? Possibly "normal" condensation in the filler tube for early 4.7s. Here is a TSB that discusses this for 4.7s in WJs.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_090100a.pdf

Whipe it out.
Unread 10-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
kc8ztw
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtumbleweed View Post
This question comes up every year when things start to get colder.

Does your mom do a lot of short trips? Possibly "normal" condensation in the filler tube for early 4.7s. Here is a TSB that discusses this for 4.7s in WJs.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_090100a.pdf

Whipe it out.
I will look into that TSB even though it doesn't apply to the 2001 model year.
Most trips are long enough this sort of thing should not happen (trips are always long enough to have the engine running or desired temp for at least 15 minutes)

Even if the gunk build up is a result of the oil fill spout where is all the antifreeze going?
Checked all the obvious places externally hoses, external head gasket leak, etc. Also we put in a new water pump because the front bearing went out and was leaking coolant right from the bearing. also put on a new radiator cap assmb (the in hose thing) because someone before us put regular old hose clamps on it and it leaked, got the entire kit from the dealer with the correct snap clamps.

It has used anti freeze ever sense we bought it but its getting worse now and the oil fill build up is occurring worse as it goes through more antifreeze.
Unread 10-29-2009, 12:46 AM   #7
mrtosh
2005 WK 

How long ago did you do the water pump? Sometimes the coolant in the overflow will go down as the air is being self-bled over time but will eventually stop. Any major bubbling from the radiator when running w/the cap off?
'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 04:36 AM   #8
kc8ztw
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtosh View Post
How long ago did you do the water pump? Sometimes the coolant in the overflow will go down as the air is being self-bled over time but will eventually stop. Any major bubbling from the radiator when running w/the cap off?
No bubbles checked for that a while ago. It has gone through probably around 2 gallons of coolant sense the water pump so its more than just filling the water pump.
I'm going to pull the plugs this weekend and hopefully that will tell a story.

I think its time for a tare down...
Unread 10-29-2009, 06:03 AM   #9
Turbonut

Put a pressure tester on the system.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
nick62087
1999 WJ 

This have been covered before. The buildup is a result of condensation or something.

My oil filler tube used to look like hell, nasty, thick, light brown colored gunk - and my jeep runs great @ 160k.
nick62087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #11
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Yes. This is a beaten, dead, buried horse.

Read:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/i...gasket-882238/
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.