4.7 tune-up, non H.O. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7 tune-up, non H.O.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
H3RESQ

4.7 tune-up, non H.O.

Did a little search. got some spark plug info but that was about it.

What would be recomended in a Tune up for my 01 w/4.7 V8. I change all the fluids regularly but have yet to do a genral tune up. Just wondering what you guys would recomend. BTW It's got about 115K miles.

First I sit and watch. Then I stir the pot!...................................01 4.7 Rockkrawler 6.5 w/37 Krawlers on Allied Monster beadlocks, Auto, Atlas 3.8, 35 spline ARB'd 9 inch rear, ARB'd Piece-o-**** 30 front, etc.

If you have a "It's a jeep thing" sticker then YOU don't understand!!!
H3RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Nick ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I usually do the air filter, spark plugs, distributer cap and rotor, oil, and clean up the battery terminals.

Quote:
This is the classic "Unstoppable Force" versus "Immoveable Object" debate. The result? Destruction of the Universe.
Quote:
last time i tried fording a river 2 of my oxen died and i got dysentary
Nick ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

sounds good except for the distributor cap and rotor, as we have a seperate coil for each cylinder.
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yup, there's no plug wires, distributor cap, or rotor.

In addition to what has already been mentioned, you should also clean the throttle body.

Have you replaced any 02 sensors yet? You might consider replacing the upstream sensor at this point if you haven't already.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
Nick ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake
sounds good except for the distributor cap and rotor, as we have a seperate coil for each cylinder.

V-engines are weird.

Quote:
This is the classic "Unstoppable Force" versus "Immoveable Object" debate. The result? Destruction of the Universe.
Quote:
last time i tried fording a river 2 of my oxen died and i got dysentary
Nick ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
Chloetar

It's not that it's a V8, it's the 4.7L hemi they came out with in 1999 that nobody calls a hemi but it really sorta is! Really.

To H3RESQ - I don't know what kind of research you did on the plugs but everyone will tell you to stay away from platinums for this engine. I have platinum plugs in my 4.7, have never had a problem, and don't miss changing #7 and #8 all that much every 30K. The difference in spark conduction must be very minor and over time the platinum gap will not change due to wear.

Alot of guys split hairs on performance, but you won't notice a difference if you have good spark to begin with. I like the fact I don't have to mess with them. Although as an experiment, I did take out the first set of Champion platinums after they had 60K just to see how they looked and they were fine. I put in autolites and have them now. The truck has 107,000 and I plan on keeping it forever.

Finally, if you are going to clean the TB with some good TB cleaner, remove the IAC valve and clean the he!! out of that. You will be amazed at the carbon build up on that.

Good Luck
Chloetar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick ZJ
V-engines are weird.
Actaully newer TJ's have distributerless 4.0's
Unread 01-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #8
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

When it gets warm out I better get around to some of this stuff too...
Unread 01-15-2007, 03:41 PM   #9
H3RESQ

So I keep my K&N clean.
So it looks like just the plugs and TB for the most part. Anything else. I'm going to do a TB spacer when I do this. So that will get all cleaned up anyway.
Upstream sensors? I have looked at the exhaust one's when doing that. Not sure what you mean by upstream.
I tend to disconnect the battery during this kind of maintnance. Is there any reason I shouldn't. I figure since I have a chip it's good to let everything reset.
First I sit and watch. Then I stir the pot!...................................01 4.7 Rockkrawler 6.5 w/37 Krawlers on Allied Monster beadlocks, Auto, Atlas 3.8, 35 spline ARB'd 9 inch rear, ARB'd Piece-o-**** 30 front, etc.

Unread 01-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

WJ's have 02 sensors before the precats (upstream) and one after (downstream)
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
H3RESQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake
WJ's have 02 sensors before the precats (upstream) and one after (downstream)
Ok, Thanks. Checked all those when I did the exhaust. They seemed fine. Is there a certain way to check them or just go by how they look?

Unread 01-15-2007, 05:06 PM   #12
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

You usually just replace them when you throw a code. If theres no code and you still want to replace them it would be just for fun. Although it would help you in the long run. Go to the dealer and grab a can of Mopar Compustion Chamber cleaner. Get the motor up to operating temp. Remove the air tube going to the throttle body, start the motor and spray the entire can in. If the motor sounds like it will stall open the valve up a bit more but try and keep the rpms at idle. Once the can is empty shut off the jeep for 5-10 mins. Once cooled start it back up and let it run for 5 mins at medium idle. It will smoke like a mofo but that will go away. I just did this today due to some recent pinging after startup and slowly accelerating. So far so good no pinging and motor seems quieter. I think there was a sticky valve.
97 ZJ 5.9L 242/4.5" RE Coils/1.75" Spacers/Clayton arms/Addco's/RE brake lines/35x12.5 bfg muds/Currie steering/K&N/Claytons Front Drop tracbar/Dropped pitman/Bilstein 5125's/JKS BPE/JKS loop conversion/JKS Sliders/ZJilla rear bumper/Clayton front winch bumper/durango steering box/warn 9000i/Hambek Customs carbon fiber cowl hood #2of16/Hp30-8.8 4.56/ARB f+r
gunthagunth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #13
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3RESQ
So I keep my K&N clean.
So it looks like just the plugs and TB for the most part. Anything else. I'm going to do a TB spacer when I do this. So that will get all cleaned up anyway.
Upstream sensors? I have looked at the exhaust one's when doing that. Not sure what you mean by upstream.
I tend to disconnect the battery during this kind of maintnance. Is there any reason I shouldn't. I figure since I have a chip it's good to let everything reset.

What "chip" is that?

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 05:52 PM   #14
jeep_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Joe-
What "chip" is that?
Probably one of those $300 Jet-Chips that donít do any thing.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 06:06 PM   #15
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

I am going to do the upstream 02 sensor in the spring. I am sure it needs to be done. I'll have to email my good friend kolak (20% off mopar parts!)

Suggested Threads
  • IL 6 Tune-Up - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (15 replies)
  • Bad Tune Up - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (16 replies)
  • Tune Up? - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (4 replies)
  • tune up - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (15 replies)
  • tune-up - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (8 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.