4.7 misfire after head replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7 misfire after head replacement

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-31-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

4.7 misfire after head replacement

So I finally got a good set of heads and put everything back together. But now that it's running again i'm having a little issue. It idles very rough and seems to get worse as the temp goes up. I've unplugged a few coils while it's running and it dosn't seem to make a difference in how it idles. Once you get going everything seems fine, acceleration is good and it runs pretty smooth at speed.

Just for a little background I had a cracked head. I replaced both with reman heads. I'm 99.99% sure the timing is correct. I had all the plated links lined up per the FSM and when I installed the crank pully and lined up the marks on the pully and timeing cover the cams were exactly where they should be. I also replaced the water pump and some other misc. stuff while I had it apart but I don't think any of that would make a difference. I did have to replace the cam sensor, I must have stuck it in a magnetic tray at some point and destroyed it and the one I put in was not mopar.

The following codes came up:

0132 - Bank 1 Sensor 1 02
1492 - battery temp sensor voltage out of range
0305 - Cyl 5 misfire

0357 - These are all max coil resistance not reached but are likely from me unplugging the coils.

None of these were present before doing the heads.

The oxygen sensor code was cleared and has returned. I had it hooked up to a scanner and graphed the right and left bank upstream oxygen sensors and they seemed to track each other very well so it dosn't seem like the pcm is getting a crazy reading from that sensor, so i'm not quite sure what to make of it.

Opinions? Suggestions? PLEASE! I've been driving a 97 civic for 3 weeks while I waited for a second set of heads after the first was damaged.....I miss my Jeep!

I'm not sure where to turn with this except the oxygen sensor or the non-mopar cam sensor. I don't think either of these would cause a rough idle/misfire condition though.

08 WK Laredo 4.7 (traded for tin can)
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
dougy147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
baxy

investigate the #5 cylinder missfire
low compression,bad spark plug,bad injector, bad wiring,bad coil ,bad valves
baxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

FIXED!

I had thought the misfire code was because I had been messing with the coils. When I went to clear the codes to start fresh again there was freeze frame data available for the misfire code. Come to find out, I was going 15 mph when the code occurred, so it was clearly not when it was parked in my driveway while I was messing with it. Pulled out #5 plug to find a gap of exactly 0.00. I must have messed it up when I put it in, to go through all that and screw up a spark plug! Anyway, runs great now.
08 WK Laredo 4.7 (traded for tin can)
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
dougy147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.