4.5 inch lift; How to go higher? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.5 inch lift; How to go higher?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
moparenthuz
1998 ZJ 

4.5 inch lift; How to go higher?

I have a 4.5 inch lift on my niner now and I will be buying new tires soon once my 31 a/ts are burnt off. I want to go to 33s. I would like to lift it more, at least 1 inch or maybe 2 more. What would be the easiest options/choices as far as doing this. Price isn't much of an issue but the more money I save can be spent on other things. Its not my dd but I would like to keep the ride decent. It rides okay as of now and I would like to keep that. Just give me the positives and negatives of all my options. Any and all help would be appreciated, Thanks.

moparenthuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

What does your current lift consist of? That will determine what you need to buy.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
moparenthuz
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for responding so fast, I've got mostly parts from IRO's 4.5 inch premium kit. Id assume just your basic run of the mill lift.
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
moparenthuz
1998 ZJ 

bump
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Do you have adjustable track bars and non stock control arms? If so the easiest thing would be to install a bb of your choice. It won't change the the way it rides much if any.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
moparenthuz
1998 ZJ 

They aren't adjustable but they aren't stock. Will my coils work with BB lift I don't want them popping off.
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

most people will recommend anything over 5-5.5 to go long arm or at a minimum adjustable control arms. if you only want an inch i would just pick up a set of 5.5 springs and control arms and trak bars and sell the other parts you have to recoup some of your cash. would also have to check your shocks for what they are rated for and depending on how much flexing you do with it i would also check your brake lines if you havent already. Whitout and TexasZJ1 are pretty adimant on these types of questions and always yield constructive answers, might not be what you are looking for but yea.....
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

do the front long arm upgrade from IRO, get bilstein shocks and add spacers to current lift.

mine rides better than it did stock at that height/lift.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

I know u said money wasnt really an issue, but you can run 33's where your at if clearence is the concern. I'm on 4.5 inches with 33's and stock control arms. The only clearance issues I have are a tiny bit on the front bumper which could be fixed with a minor trim of the bumper cover, and a little bit on the fender wells when I'm at full lock which longer control arms should take care of.

My build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1557637/
98ZJLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

First thing I would do is make sure I have wheels that will work, 33x12.5s will go well with a 8” wide wheel that has 3.75”-4” of backspacing on it.

No real need for new coils, you can add a 2” BB spacer on top with no issues, you should just extend the rear spring post when you do this. 1.75 ID exhaust tube will work fine. You’ll need to extend the front bumpstops, as well as the rears. IRO sells the kit for the front for like $30 and you can buy little spacers for the rears. Hockey pucks on the front spring perch will also work.

If you have adjustable trackbars now, keep them and see if they will work. If you bought them from IRO, they will be able to tell you if they will work at the new height. If you are using drop brackets or have re-drilled the front mounting hole, get adjustable trackbars. IRO double shear in the front and JKS in the rear is what I run and I have been very happy with both. The pair will run about $350

Front brake lines might need to be addressed. YJ lines will bolt right in and if you leave them unbolted from the frame, they should provide enough slack to flex with short arms. If you go to long arms, you’ll want to replace the lines with extended ones. IRO and any number of place sell these, usually run about $80.

If you are running JKS Quick Discos already, you should be fine in the front, just extend the link length. In the rear, 1998 front Chevy C1500 links will work.

There are two ways to go on control arms at that height. Either way you go, you need all 4 adjustable arms in the rear. Short arms for the rear will be no problems for that height. You then have the choice to go with long arms or short arms in the front. If you go short arm, you’ll want all 4 adjustable there are well to get the best pinion angle and axle location. I wasn’t the biggest fan of the ride at 5.5” and short arms, but it wasn’t terrible and flex is pretty good. I found the ride with long arms to be better and flex is better in my opinion. IRO sells their font long arm upgrade for $700 for the crossmember and adjustable arms.

And lastly, you’ll need to address the front driveshaft if you haven’t already. At that height, you need a u-joint shaft in the front. You can either replace the yoke at the diff or you can use an adapter flange.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

JKS ACOS front and rear.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.