4.0L timing chain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0L timing chain

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-01-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
jeepunlimited

4.0L timing chain

hey guys, i have a knocking sound coming from the front of my 4.0L down low, and im just wodnering what the life span for the timing chain on a 4.0L is.....i want my jeep to last me a bit longer but i was thinkin now that knocking sound could be a bad timing chain ?? it starts right up but seems down on power sometimes, i dunno.....anyone know how long a timing chain usually lasts on a 4.0L has anybody changed one and if soo what is hard ??

hopefully i can do it with the engine in the jeep

thanx guys....

any help would be great

jeepunlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #2
yrubugn
1998 ZJ 

Well I never had to change one as most dont stretch or break too often.

But to check the chain you can remove the distributer cap and rotate the motor by hand using the belt or pulleys. Turn counterclockwise to take the slack out of the chain, then slowly turn clockwise, noticing how far before the rotor moves.

If the pulleys go an inch or so the chain is stretched and should be changed, it is usually noticeable by more of a slapping noise.
yrubugn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
cmonson

I don't think the 4.0 is a 0 (zero) clearance engine.

That being said, if the chain breaks, the valves will not hit the pistons. Verify this though.

Being a non-zero clearance engine, if the chain snaps, it will not do any damage. You will just have to install a new chain.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2007, 08:48 PM   #4
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I'm at 213K on the original chain, and I am just going to let it ride for now. I had a friend at work claim that he threw one at 241K, and that was the end of the road for him. I do not believe that throwing a chain always ends happily with the installation of a new chain.
Unread 02-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
jeepunlimited

what do you mean ??? if the 4.0L is a non interference motor, why wouldnt a new chain fix it ?? maybe i should do mine in the warm wheather

??

Last edited by jeepunlimited; 02-02-2007 at 05:33 AM..
jeepunlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2007, 09:46 AM   #6
cmonson

Non-interferance engine = when the chain breaks, the intake and exhasut valves will not come in contact with the pistons.

On an interferance engine, when the chain or belt break, the valves come in contact with the pisons. This causes engine damage that would result in a rebuild.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #7
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Chains don't typicly break at all. If it does break while the pistons might hit the valves, you will most likely need a new aluminum timing cover.
AND a ride home for you and your vehicle.
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #8
GreenDean
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman
I do not believe that throwing a chain always ends happily with the installation of a new chain.
This is true.
I had a Ford 5.0 that had countless miles on it.
It needed a chain.
Old one was loose enough to tie a knot it.

I replaced the chain and the motor never ran right again.
GreenDean is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.