4.0L run bad after full tune up. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0L run bad after full tune up.

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-24-2010, 02:36 AM   #1
NeverL8
2000 WJ 

4.0L run bad after full tune up.

I should leave the car the way its, because it run perfect before I touch it. Since just bough the jeep last week. I want do full tune up, rear diff, tranny filter and fluid, spark plug wire, plug and cap and button. I did rear diff fluid, and it run perfect, today I drop tranny pan and do drain about 6 quart, here is few problem

1: I bought tranny filter from autozone. Part Number:
TF127

Price:
$6.99

Application:
Transmission model 42RE or 44RE

I went home and drop pan and filter, the filter was factory filter, and its look different from the filter I just bought from autozone, so I cross part number and it came out with , is my tranmission support to be 42RE ?

Az Filters / Transmission Filter (A/T)
Part Number:
TF164

Price:
$10.49

Application:
Transmission model 46RE

anyway I came back to autozone and exchange other filter for TF164, I went home, install put in about 5 quart of vavoline ATF+4.

Im not start the car yet, I go ahead and swap out spark plug wire with bosch spark plug wire, champion copper plug , gap at .035. Autozone distributer cap and rotor.

after done, I start the car, it have rough idle, and my driver side is sound like exhault leak. I check the tranmision fluid and its about half quart low. I already dump 6 quart in it, I remember I measure how much tranmission fluid I take off was over 6 quart. anway I put on revert and the car is shaking, its shaking every gear. accept neutral and part. I test drive and its very rough, it dont want to go past 25+ mph. when I come to stop its start shaking and look like its going to die, but it wont die. I swap every thing back the way it before, like plug, wire, cap and rotor, it it still did the same thing, its idle good, then some time it want to die. I know im over half quart low on tranmission, imma fill it up tomorrow. Any one have any ideal how come my car is run so bad ? its run perfect before I did all this. wrong tranmission filter ? I did something wrong to ignation ?

NeverL8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 02:55 AM   #2
lateralus3
1994 ZJ 

did you check the trans fluid in neutral? did you put the plug wires on in the correct order? is your jeep info right? you say zj it says xj

1994 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 IRO 5.5 critical path long arm kit and OTK steering 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's

high pinion dana 30 and 8.8 in garage
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/lateralus3s-slow-build-thread-1042086/"]my build thread[/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]FOR SALE ONE SET OF ZJ D44A AXLE SHAFTS $150 SHIPPED[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
lateralus3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 03:19 AM   #3
NeverL8
2000 WJ 

yes I check tranny fluid in neutral, its show full in part, but low in neutral. ( imma add a quart tomorrow ).

I did plug wire transfer one by one from old to new.

Car is idle fine in neutral and park, but stumble and hesritate and low rpm aound 100 in every gear, when I come to complete stop it start stumble and low rpm.

any of you have spark plug wire diagram, i just want to make sure I gotit right.
Unread 01-24-2010, 03:30 AM   #4
lateralus3
1994 ZJ 

did you do the cap and rotor too?

edit:nevermind noticed you did

1994 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 IRO 5.5 critical path long arm kit and OTK steering 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/lateralus3s-slow-build-thread-1042086/"]my build thread[/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]FOR SALE ONE SET OF ZJ D44A AXLE SHAFTS $150 SHIPPED[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
Unread 01-24-2010, 03:40 AM   #5
NeverL8
2000 WJ 

I FELT LIKE A DUMB *** !! RIGNT NOW, its 5am after I search the forum about spark plug wire diagram for my 4.0L, I ranout and switch wire 3 to 4, 4 to 3 and car run perfect. no more stumble, engine sound normal, run and drive normal like before. Now I have to swap all the new part I take off early tomorrow. I just wonder if I did any damage to the engine by put spark plug wire in wrong order. No wonder that new plug I pull of so black. Thanks you
Unread 01-24-2010, 04:11 AM   #6
lateralus3
1994 ZJ 

btw i do believe that the firing order is on the intake manifold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.