4.0L Rough idle/misfire(?) when engine is warm... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0L Rough idle/misfire(?) when engine is warm...

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
skinnyjl

4.0L Rough idle/misfire(?) when engine is warm...

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee with a 4.0L engine and 99k on the clock. The check engine light has come on and I get an intermittent rough idle (500-600rpm) and misfiring/poor performance at highway speeds and when I put a load on the engine (going up a steep grade, ect..) This seems to happen when the engine is at operating temp (~180-200F). Sometimes the engine light will flash when the engine is running poorly. I have put new plugs and a new coil pack in and my mechanic tracked down 3 vacuum leaks, but the problem still persists. The kicker is, engine runs fine before it gets to operating temp. I really don't want to go the dealership route, as the $100 per hour labor rate is hard on my limited income.

skinnyjl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
SouthSeaPirate

Flashing engine light is usually a missfire indicator. And if Im not mistaken, the amount of flashes will inticate what cyl it was.

When your running cold your ride is in sort of a limp mode. It wont use such things like O2 sensors and a few other sensors until its warmed up. Could be something along those lines.

An 'early' educated guess would be TPS, CPS or PCM. I would also check the vacuum line to the MAP sensor. But to early to tell anything just yet. So get the codes pulled asap.

Also check the oil for water and water for oil. Any smoke coming out of the tail pipe? I would check these first. Then MAP vacuum and then get the codes pulled.
SouthSeaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
skinnyjl

No smoke or water and oil in the wrong places. Just the occasional whiff of unburnt gas.
Unread 09-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
SouthSeaPirate

Good thing, get those codes pulled and back to us.
SouthSeaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
skinnyjl

I was able to pull the codes using the "key method" and got the following:

P0202 - Injector Circuit Malfunction - Cylinder 2
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0442 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

Last edited by skinnyjl; 09-05-2009 at 02:25 PM..
Unread 09-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyjl View Post
I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee with a 4.0L engine and 99k on the clock. The check engine light has come on and I get an intermittent rough idle (500-600rpm) and misfiring/poor performance at highway speeds and when I put a load on the engine (going up a steep grade, ect..) This seems to happen when the engine is at operating temp (~180-200F). Sometimes the engine light will flash when the engine is running poorly. I have put new plugs and a new coil pack in and my mechanic tracked down 3 vacuum leaks, but the problem still persists. The kicker is, engine runs fine before it gets to operating temp. I really don't want to go the dealership route, as the $100 per hour labor rate is hard on my limited income.
Disconnect the upstream O2 sensor. If the problem goes away, you diagnosed a failing O2 sensor. But remember this is just a test, don't drive like this for prolonged time. Replace with genuine Mopar O2 sensor ONLY!!! This is quite a common issue with the 4.0 Grands.
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
skinnyjl

I pulled the plug on the O2 sensor and it didn't seem to change much.
Unread 09-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #8
20jeepwj00
2000 WJ 

If you have an injector circuit code it could be an injector,when the injector gets hot it could be failing,when the problem is occuring pull off the #2 injector connector and install a noid light an if its flashing the wiring and the controller are ok and its probably a bad injector.
20jeepwj00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
skinnyjl

B..u..m..p
Unread 09-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
JonM81
2004 WJ 

Oh my... I may have a bad injector... Got the same thing with all the O2 sensors replaced... I was hoping it was the spark plugs... eeek
4.0L Straight Six w/ 140xxx Miles
K&N Drop In w/ Air Box Mod
JonM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
skinnyjl

Just a follow up...

After my mechanic decided I had a bad computer, I wasn't convinced. So, I gave in and took it to the $tealer$hip. They determined I had a short in the engine harness that was causing the misfire. I picked it up yesterday and all seems well so far. No CEL or codes and it seems to be running well. I just hate the fact that it cost me $506 for a tech to put shrink insulation around a bare wire. Oh well... I knew I was going to get screwed when the service rep said that it was a 5 hour job before they even did the work. It could have taken them 5 hours or it could have taken them 45 minutes. I'll never know...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.